Trouble getting LinuxMint to boot on ASUS EeePC 1005HA

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Trouble getting LinuxMint to boot on ASUS EeePC 1005HA

Postby TrueKhan on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi everybody, I'm new around here, and relatively new to Linux. Got a few live CD's to run and try and also spend a fair bit of time around Ubuntu back while I was studying, but now I'm trying to install Linux Mint to use it for good.

I want to make it work on an old Eee netbook (ASUS EeePC 1005HA) I have around, as it did not had a CD drive I wrote the .iso image of the Linux Mint I downloaded to an USB drive using "Pendrive Linux Universal USB Installer" following this tutorial. I changed boot order successfully on the netbook so now it allows me to boot from the USB. I can get to the first screen but as soon as I hit the "Start Linux Mint" the computer freezes, or that's the feeling I get after waiting nearly ten minutes for it to boot, with no results...

Any ideas on how to proceed with troubleshooting? Any help would be appreciated, really, because I want Linux on my netbook and Mint was my first choice

Thanks in advance!
TrueKhan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trouble getting LinuxMint to boot on ASUS EeePC 1005HA

Postby DrHu on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Run the GRUB2x boot manually: edit the boot line and run it one at a time or search for the file being used in the boot line
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/910

Grub has a minimal editor function to enable you to adjust code in the grub file usually for temporary changes as a test: if you find the problem, you can change grub to reflect that (grub2 is different in that it calls individual files rather than putting everything into a menu1st file (grub legacy: grub x.97x), but instead uses user files and default system files to create the grub selections
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Trouble getting LinuxMint to boot on ASUS EeePC 1005HA

Postby pdc_2 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:50 pm

DrHu has much more experience and knowledge in Mint than I do;

when things like this don't work for folks, (and me), I have often found that by just doing it again ,...........that things are different the second time around......and work

I used the thread you described to create a bootable USB stick some months ago; using Mint 14 32bit; it has worked perfectly;

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

I notice there are actually 3 methods described in this thread

!) Mintstick (using USB Image Writer)
2) use the terminal
3) use windows

I wonder which you used TrueKhan; I used the terminal

sudo dd if=~/Desktop/linuxmint.iso of=/dev/sdx oflag=direct bs=1048576

.....Where '~/Desktop/linuxmint.iso' is the name and location of your downloaded image (located at the desktop in this example) and '/dev/sdx' is the target USB drive........

I was pleased how well it all worked

(my experience of previous efforts to use USB Image Writer was that it always failed; only by going back to some much earlier versions; (on EasyPeasy 1.1 or something..) could I get USB Image Writer to work ...)
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot