14 is a Yes but 13 is a No , Why ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintKDE416

14 is a Yes but 13 is a No , Why ?

Post by MintKDE416 »

Hi ... I can do a clean installment of Mint 14 KDE. Mate and Cinn but I can't do so with any of Mint 13 versions . Is there something I need to do prior to installment ? I'm doing a dvd boot option. I also have try to burn more than one iso disc at the lowest speed ( 2x ) and still a no go with any of Mint 13 versions . But its not the case with Mint 14 versions . So what am I doing wrong , thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: 14 is a Yes but 13 is a No , Why ?

Post by DrHu »

Have an empty partition available for the Linux install
--that is a clean install, because there is no user data in the partition; so any additional user settings (themes..) and applications will be up to you

Install methods..
https://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/28 ... on-methods
http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Per ... stallation
MintKDE416

Post by MintKDE416 »

DrHu wrote:Have an empty partition available for the Linux install
--that is a clean install, because there is no user data in the partition; so any additional user settings (themes..) and applications will be up to you
That right it is a formatted empty drive . But with 13 versions it will not load . 14 versions I have no problems loading and afterwards able to install , but not with 13 versions . Why doesn't 13 versions load were I can later install ?
passerby

Post by passerby »

It may be that mint 13 doesn't support your hardware properly by default, if your hardware is new-ish.
In my case, only kernel 3.5+ will boot, so Mint 13 won't run but 14 will.
MintKDE416

Post by MintKDE416 »

passerby wrote:It may be that mint 13 doesn't support your hardware properly by default, if your hardware is new-ish.
In my case, only kernel 3.5+ will boot, so Mint 13 won't run but 14 will.
I guess your right . I'm using an old Gateway mx6025 model laptop . I always wanted to learn Linux and I thought Linux were great with older PCs or lappies . Maybe I need an older Linux version.

Thanks for your input
passerby

Post by passerby »

If it's an old laptop, I don't think it's a matter of 13 being too new, especially if 14 works. More like 13 is missing a driver that the laptop needs.
MintKDE416

Post by MintKDE416 »

passerby wrote:If it's an old laptop, I don't think it's a matter of 13 being too new, especially if 14 works. More like 13 is missing a driver that the laptop needs.
Again, your probably right . Thought I wouldn't know which or how to load a driver for Linux since I never used it before . Its not like windows LOL . I guess I will just use 14 and try to get a grip on how to use linux . I'm not using it for anything special but to learn . So if I screw up or have to reinstall it over and over it wouldn't matter to me , its just a learning thing for me at the moment . Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”