Transferring files from Windows to Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lennac

Transferring files from Windows to Linux

Post by Lennac »

I'm a very new Linux user and first put Mint onto my laptop just to try it out. It was running poorly and was in need of a format anyway, so instead of just restoring Windows I thought it was a great time to give Linux a try. And I love it!

Anyway, I'm looking to switch my desktop over as well now, but there are a lot more files that I want to keep on my desktop than my laptop, so I'm wondering if there is anyway to install Linux, transfer files I want to keep from my Windows partition to my Linux partition, and then wipe my Windows partition?

If this isn't possible, or I'm just talking about insane feats that are only dreamed up by a madman, let me know. I'm thinking about grabbing an external harddrive, because obviously that would be the easiest solution. But if I can save some cash and do it another way, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Transferring files from Windows to Linux

Post by Orbmiser »

so I'm wondering if there is anyway to install Linux, transfer files I want to keep from my Windows partition to my Linux partition, and then wipe my Windows partition?
Sure just install linux on it's own partition on the hadrdrive. Then you will boot up to linux.
You can mount window partition and then copy files over to linux with the file manager.

But you really should spend the cash for a external usb drive. As would never trust my files to just one hardrive in case of failure. If they are important then are important enough to be saved to at least 2 different locations for safety.

Also you would be able to back up your linux setup in case of problems. I have mine backed up to external and can restore Win7 or Linux back to working in 20mins if something goes wrong with OS or software borking the system.
Lennac

Post by Lennac »

The plan is to eventually get an external drive. Hoping to pick up a decent one when I see one on sale, and I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment.

A few follow up questions:

How do I mount the window partition?

And then, once I have taken all of the files that I need from windows, how do I go about deleting the windows partition? I've created/deleted partitions before, but usually only on the first setup of windows/linux. On my laptop I didn't have any files I needed, so when I installed Linux it was just a clean wipe. I've never really messed around too much with partitions in the past.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Generally they will show in file manager and you just click on them and they will mount and give you access.
Then you can transfer files. Boot backup with live CD and run gparted which will allow you to manipulate your partitions.
Find the windows one and can delete partition. Then can create a linux ext4 partition and format it.

Boot up to your linux desktop then it will be there for you to use and add back your personal files if you wish.
Lennac

Post by Lennac »

Awesome! Thank you very much for the response. Really helpful.

Return to “Beginner Questions”