Compiz Fusion with Mint 9

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mackem

Compiz Fusion with Mint 9

Post by Mackem »

I can't get Compiz Fusion to work on my Linux Mint 9 VM via VirtualBox. I've installed the guest additions and it's not working. I have a nVidia GTX 560Ti but the VM is not recognizing that I have this GPU. I need urgent help as it is for a project.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kbkatz1

Re: Compiz Fusion with Mint 9

Post by kbkatz1 »

LM9, why such an older edition? sometimes issues occur when trying to run an Os in VM.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
Mackem

Post by Mackem »

It was specified by the project, the VM was given to me on a disk.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

A VM will never access real host hardware without paravirtualization (like Xen or KVM are capable of). Your VM actually "sees" a VirtualBox virtual GPU.
Mackem

Post by Mackem »

It was working on a computer at university but won't work at home
Mackem

Post by Mackem »

I'm running Mint 9 Isadora in a Virtualbox VM (VM was given to me as part of the project). My current system has a nVidia GTX 560Ti graphics card.

I tried to enable 'Extra' in the Appearance > Visual Effects section, which then comes up with a dialog saying 'Searching for drivers' and then after 15 seconds or so, it says 'Desktop effects could not be enabled'.

I went into the terminal and typed compiz-check and got:

Distribution: Linux Mint 9
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
Driver in use: vesa
Rendering method: AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system... [SKIP]

Checking for hardware/setup problems... [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:

Error: vesa driver in use

When I ask to know more, it says 'The vesa driver is not capable of running Compiz, you need to install the proper driver for your graphics card' and when I check for proprietary drivers, it finds nothing.

I've enabled 3D acceleration in the VirtualBox settings and installed Guest Additions (Wouldn't work from the VirtualBox menu so installed from the Terminal. Is there a way of double checking I installed them just to be sure?)

I'm all out of ideas and not sure what to try that might get it to work but won't break my VM.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

The vboxvideo driver should be used, not vesa. So either it is not loaded or it is not compiled in your VM (it should when VB is properly installed). Which version of VirtualBox are you running ?
Mackem

Post by Mackem »

I'm running the latest version (4.2.10)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

And the VM was running on which version at the University ? On the same platform as yours (architecture, OS version and VB version) ?
Mackem

Post by Mackem »

They use VirtualBox but they haven't updated it (It's a few months out of date) and they use Windows 7 whereas I use Windows 8
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Then your test conditions are totally different. At first, you should use inside the VM the same VB additions version as the one installed at the university. The VM may not be able to run on your newer and different platform than the one used there.
Mackem

Post by Mackem »

Perhaps it will work if I run the VM on the computers at university? Or will I have to remake the VM?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Perhaps. Your copy may be damaged either. Hardware put aside, the VM can be not fully compatible with current VB versions.

Return to “Hardware Support”