Stuck in terminal mode

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Stuck in terminal mode

Post by donec »

I think I did something but don't know what I did but now when it boots all I see is a black screen showing the boot process and a request for my login. How do I get my GUI back?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Stuck in terminal mode

Post by donec »

Thanks for the reply BlahBlah_X. I logged in and typed in startx then I hit enter. I did not get my GUI back but I got a bunch of text on the screen and a lot of it disappeared from sight so I can't post all of it.
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

What graphics do you have?
What were / did you do in the recent past (what s/w did you install etc.)?
Do you have Nvidia or ATI graphics?
You may have done something that hosed the graphics. If you think so, then after you have logged in using the user name and password. Enter the code:

Code: Select all

sudo envy -t
and select loading of the graphics (nvidia / ati) as applicable.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Ok I am running VirtualBox with Mint as a virtual distro. I tried to adjust the resolution and install the new NV drivers using the GUI. When I rebooted Mint I had no GUI. I have heard of a hot key that allows some distros to switch between GUI and text mode. Does Mint have this feature and if so what hot key would take it back to the GUI?
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Oh VBox. You are using a virtual GPU in VBox. You don't run envy the graphics are manipulated by another means - I don't know how / too early to think anyway, and no time.
Was this by chance a guest on a Windows host with messages complaining about being in 32-bit mode during the guest launch? You'll need to look at the VBox manual for clues, or wait for someone else who knows.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Doesn't VBOX use a virtual graphics card and not the actual card? I'm not sure about that, but that could be causing some troubles with X..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

I also am running Mepis 7.0 in VirtualBox and have updated the video drivers and increased the resolution. I am running Mepis 6.5 from my hard drive all else is run as a program within Mepis 6.5.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Beginner Questions”