How can effectively stop MDM ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mark1mint

How can effectively stop MDM ?

Post by mark1mint »

I know this has been debated,but I'm afraid I haven't been able to gather a definitive answer:when in a console,how I can effectively kill mdm and prevent it from coming back unexpectedly ?

As you may imagine,this has to do with installing in a console video drivers like ATI (manually or via the sgfxi script) with the consequent necessity to kill the graphic server during the process:mdm has the annoying behavior to pop up again right after issuing commands like sudo service mdm stop,making the whole process more difficult.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How can effectively stop MDM ?

Post by viking777 »

I have never had that happen with the sgfxi script and I have used it an awful lot in the past (not now I have Intel graphics). Sgfxi kills the x server for you without any effort on your part.

This is how to use sgfxi:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... xi#p497881

Have another go with it, maybe there is a step you missed out. It is so much easier than trying to do it manually.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Well that's weird,I'm asking because mdm popped up exactly while I was running sgfxi in a virtual console and the script was just trying to shutdown the X server-it maybe that my system is setup differently from yours as far as the login screen (or something like that) goes,or I may have done something wrong,although simply running sudo ./sgfxi doesn't leave much room for that...

And it's not just me,I've heard about other people running into the very same issue,mdm re-starts when it is supposed to shut down and stay out of the way-although,after logging in again,with Ctrl+Shift+F2 I was able to get back the same terminal with sgfxi still running.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You aren't following the instructions in my post. You don't run sgfxi from a terminal with sudo, that way you are starting it from a graphical window you MUST start it from a non graphical virtual terminal. Read my instructions again and with the exception of the installing bit (which you have already done) follow them precisely, they are not hard to follow, you are just doing it wrong that is why you are having trouble.

One thing to be aware of though, if you have hybrid graphics sgfxi probably wont work anyway.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

viking777 wrote: You don't run sgfxi from a terminal with sudo, that way you are starting it from a graphical window you MUST start it from a non graphical virtual terminal.
and I had written:
I was running sgfxi in a virtual console
:wink: isn't that what you mean ?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

isn't that what you mean ?
Yes it is, but you still don't use sudo, you log in as root.

Just read the link I gave you and try it - if it doesn't work I will apologise to you, but if you do it right it works. :)
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Sorry,I did not read the post carefully:so,correct me if I'm wrong,the difference lays in running sgfxi using sudo vs. logging in as root in a virtual console from the start ?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

mark1mint wrote:Sorry,I did not read the post carefully:so,correct me if I'm wrong,the difference lays in running sgfxi using sudo vs. logging in as root in a virtual console from the start ?
That is correct.

Return to “MATE”