Linux Mint and Ubuntu difference?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DMGrier

Linux Mint and Ubuntu difference?

Post by DMGrier »

Hey guys been a while since I have been on here. I wen't back to Ubuntu for a while and for some reason Ubuntu 12.04-.10 just felt horribly buggy, slow and tones of crashes happening to the applications. I have been running Mint 13 now for about a month and everything seems so much faster and more stable. My question is I thought Mint was essentially Ubuntu and I may be wrong so don't tear my head off if I am wrong, but if I am right then why I am noticing such a difference in stability and performance. My comparison is between Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint and Ubuntu difference?

Post by xenopeek »

Did you use the same desktop environment on both distros? That can make a difference also.
DMGrier

Post by DMGrier »

No I am running Cinnamon right now on Linux Mint and on Ubuntu I was using Unity but I figured Unity would be in good working order by this point.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Might also have a relationship with your graphics card driver. Perhaps it works fine for Cinnamon but Unity taps some more buggy functions in the driver, or something similar.

Linux Mint uses the kernel and graphics card drivers from the Ubuntu package base, so the same ones that Ubuntu has.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Unity runs very well on my ubuntu (in fact i am running 13.04 development) and it's getting really smooth and fast....but then i do have a pretty new computer...
(Toshiba 17" laptop w/intel i3 processor and graphics)...
Hmmm...i just noticed you are running a Sony with i5....should be good on there i would think...maybe you should check out a live session on a daily build of 13.04...it's quite an improvement over 12.10...
Nimphina

Post by Nimphina »

craig10x wrote:Unity runs very well on my ubuntu (in fact i am running 13.04 development) and it's getting really smooth and fast....but then i do have a pretty new computer...
(Toshiba 17" laptop w/intel i3 processor and graphics)...
Hmmm...i just noticed you are running a Sony with i5....should be good on there i would think...maybe you should check out a live session on a daily build of 13.04...it's quite an improvement over 12.10...
I found that between 12.10 and 13.04 that Unity feels much much more responsive and smooth. I still have issues in it's design though so I'm sticking with MATE.
ortrigger

Post by ortrigger »

Nimphina wrote: I found that between 12.10 and 13.04 that Unity feels much much more responsive and smooth. I still have issues in it's design though so I'm sticking with MATE.
Unity is actually the reason I left Ubuntu for Mint. It's too bloated for my taste. I guess I just like more minimal looking desktops.
dee.

Post by dee. »

I liked Unity at first but when you start using more programs, the limitations really show, as the sidebar only holds a certain amount of icons and then you'll be forced to use the "dash"... which is horrible. Anyway Unity is probably fine for average users, apart from the adware...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

dee. wrote:I liked Unity at first but when you start using more programs, the limitations really show, as the sidebar only holds a certain amount of icons and then you'll be forced to use the "dash"... which is horrible.
I use a custom quicklist on the Unity bar that contains launchers for several different apps. Totally solves the problem of too many icons on the bar.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

and the "adware" (i assume you are referring to the amazon lens) can be turned off in privacy settings in about 5 seconds...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”