where do the files from software manger go

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noothgrush

where do the files from software manger go

Post by noothgrush »

I am trying to solve a problem that I believe lies with my graphics card drivers, I downloaded Nvidia graphics manager from the software manager, but now i can't find it to open it. Do the things you download from the software manager go somewhere specific and then you have to install them from there? Or do they install directly from the manager?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: where do the files from software manger go

Post by cecar »

They install directly. The files ends up in /var/cache/apt/archives. But they install from software manager so you dont have to go there to install them.
noothgrush

Post by noothgrush »

Awesome thanks! program isn't showing up anywhere though. i must be doing something wrong, or not understanding what the program does. It's Nvidia graphic settings and i am running linux mint 14 with cinnamon
cecar

Post by cecar »

I cant help you with that. I have no idea what that program is supposed to do. Sorry.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Which package did you install exactly?

If you install an NVIDIA graphics driver then the NVIDIA X Server Settings program is automatically installed and appears in the menu. The program will not work if you do not have an NVIDIA driver installed.

Please open Terminal from the menu, type this, and press Enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
That will display some graphics data. With that data I can probably help you to get the NVIDIA graphics working.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
noothgrush

Post by noothgrush »

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 1251 bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org: 1.13.0 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 560M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.43 Direct Rendering: Yes
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The graphics driver is working, you should already have NVIDIA X Server Settings in your menu (that is the NVIDIA control panel on Linux).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
noothgrush

Post by noothgrush »

Ahh it has appeared now. Must have needed a reboot to appear. thanks for the help.

downside to having the correct drivers means that the solution to my other problem (asked here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=128615) is not something so simple :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”