KDE vs GTK appearance

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

KDE vs GTK appearance

Post by herbie643 »

I have for the most part solved all the odd issues in appearance, but, there is one area that befuddles me completely. If I, from the Run command, enter synsaptic (no idea what the heck that is but works) the appearance is fine. Now if I enter synaptic, a terminal window opens, shrinks down as in the Gnome Terminal, and now synaptic is half KDE half GTk in appearance.
So I guess really my question is; "What the heck is going on with 'synaptic' and 'synsaptic' commands and their different appearance.
I Google's synsaptic with no results and it is not present my system.

Anyone, any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: KDE vs GTK appearance

Post by homerscousin »

I feel a little something for you that noone has answered this post. Are you talking about 'synaptic package manager'? I'm not at all clear as to the question and the reference to synaptic and synsaptic. I have never seen the latter 'synsaptic' mentioned in all my reading.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

Thanks for the reply and it was kind of disconcerting that no one replied but I understand why. Just a freaky thing.
Yes, synaptic package manager is the one that is strange. Synsaptic, I have no idea what the heck that command is, by name anyway, but brings up the Synaptic Package manager.
I have since removed KDE, just couldn't quite get used to it and have since then installed XFCE and find that totally to my liking.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

You could try several things. First up would be to check this:

System Settings > Application Appearance > Fonts > Force fonts DPI

Check it and set to 96 DPI.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

Thanks for the quick reply, but fonts weren't the issue, it was 'gui' part that was not right.
For example, if you edit a gtkrc of any theme and mess up a line, say in the way you choose a color like "#c0c0c0c" That is a bad color, so when the theme is loaded you get an ugly gui. That's what was occurring.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

herbie643 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, but fonts weren't the issue, it was 'gui' part that was not right.
For example, if you edit a gtkrc of any theme and mess up a line, say in the way you choose a color like "#c0c0c0c" That is a bad color, so when the theme is loaded you get an ugly gui. That's what was occurring.
Ah, then the solution is to change the theme.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Software & Applications”