Ubuntu or Kubuntu based?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gjtoth
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu or Kubuntu based?

Post by gjtoth »

I notice in the screenshots the start button appears to be that of KDE. Is Linux Mint based on Ubuntu or Kubuntu? Also, what version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu is it based on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Linux Mint 2.0 is based on Ubuntu 6.10.

Linux Mint 1.0 was based on Kubuntu 6.06.

Apparently all future Linux Mint versions will also be based on Ubuntu.
gjtoth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gjtoth »

Fragadelic wrote:Linux Mint 2.0 is based on Ubuntu 6.10.

Kewl! That's all I needed to know before installing it.

I d/l'ed and installed Ubuntu 6.10 last night and was impressed. Then, I read about Mint and not having to d/l much else so thought I'd give it a shot.

If it's half of what it claims, you'll be seeing me around here more. :lol:
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Go on over to the Reviews Feedback section as I posted my initial impressions on Linux Mint 2.0.

I'm a longtime Linux user - since 97. I started with Slackware 3.5 I think. Its been so long I can't remember anymore. I've tried every major distro there is during the many years I've been running Linux. I always like the debian package system. apt-get is awesome if you are careful what repositories you add.

Ubuntu is an awesome distro but having to install automatix and then all the extras takes a fair bit of time. Linux Mint 2.0 is perfect out of the box if you browse,email and use your PC for multimedia.

I'm impressed.

It even includes Firefox 2.0 so I'm assuming all the updates since 6.10 was released are also there.
gjtoth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gjtoth »

Fragadelic wrote:Go on over to the Reviews Feedback section as I posted my initial impressions on Linux Mint 2.0.

I'm a longtime Linux user - since 97. I started with Slackware 3.5 I think. Its been so long I can't remember anymore. I've tried every major distro there is during the many years I've been running Linux. I always like the debian package system. apt-get is awesome if you are careful what repositories you add.

Ubuntu is an awesome distro but having to install automatix and then all the extras takes a fair bit of time. Linux Mint 2.0 is perfect out of the box if you browse,email and use your PC for multimedia.

I'm impressed.

It even includes Firefox 2.0 so I'm assuming all the updates since 6.10 was released are also there.
I've only been in Linux for about 2 years. I started with Xandros and have it running on my main box. But, X4 for some reason seems to be bogging down and when I first installed it, it found my scanner with no problem. But, now... no scanner! So, I've been checking out the different distros.

Also, I've gotten a few folks moved away from Windows and a couple have been having probs with multimedia stuff so, this could be the ticket.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Thats the beauty of Linux. You don't have to spend a fortune just to find out if you like a certain flavour. Xandros on the other hand is one of the few that you MUST buy to try unless you want an ancient version that won't give you a proper test run anyway.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Post by npap »

Fragadelic wrote:Linux Mint 2.0 is based on Ubuntu 6.10.

Hi all,
Although it's based on Ubuntu (Gnome), the good news is that after the installation, you can go to Synaptic and install the Kubuntu(KDE) version.
Synaptic>kubuntu-desktop.
That's what I did today. Now I have the choice of switching either one when I log in. I select sessions from the dropdown menu: Gnome or KDE.
Believe me, this is a real treat.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Sorry for this bloody stupid question:

If you install the KDE desktop to Mint 2.0, do you also add the usual KDE stuff, such as the KDE World Clock, KDE-Edu, K-this-application and K-that-application?

Helmut
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

In other words, if you have a slow modem you could use a Kubuntu 6:10 CD for adding KDE stuff to Barbara?
Helmut
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I suppose you could use the Kubuntu CD as a repository, and install kubuntu-desktop or the KDE packages from it.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Or else, you could use Ada.. if you don't mind it being based on Dapper.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”