Old user returning to Linux usage and the forums

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Link

Old user returning to Linux usage and the forums

Post by Link »

Hi, now I'm returning here after five years of absence. Currently am using Linux Mint 11.

Hoping to familarise myself with it and be more active in the forums. Nice to meet you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: Old user returning to Linux usage and the forums

Post by anandrkris »

Hi - Welcome to the Mint family. I am sure you will feel home here. :D
Surely, a lot must have changed over five years. Which DE (Cinnamon, KDE, Mate) are you currently using and which was your previously used Distro?
Looking forward to your participation in the Mint forums .
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Link, welcome back to Linux Mint :D Just a heads up, Linux Mint 11 has reached end of life as of October last year. Meaning you are no longer receiving updates for your installed software (no security fixes) and it will become increasingly difficult for you to install new software as the software repositories will be shut down. Recommend you upgrade to Linux Mint 13 at least. You can download Linux Mint releases from http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php and see also till when those are supported. Linux Mint 15 is due to be released in May.

If you are using the main edition of Linux Mint 11 (GNOME 2), you will probably be at home with MATE or Cinnamon. GNOME 2 has been discontinued by the GNOME developers, but the MATE developers have picked up where the GNOME developers left. So under the new name MATE (all applications also have new names) you can continue to use your familiar desktop environment. Cinnamon is being developed by the Linux Mint developers, striving for the same classic desktop paradigm though with using modern technologies.
Link

Post by Link »

Thank you for the welcome. I was using Daryna in 2008 and currently using Katya (if I am not mistaken, because I'm on Linux Mint 11 now).

But having a problem with the harddisk space now after having a Windows exe file reinstalled in my Linux (which uses Wine) so that I can use that Windows program while I am on Linux and at the same time, the program was already installed in my harddisk but that one can't be run because it was installed when I was using Windows XP -- which is currently unable to be used because it keeps on giving me the blue screen crash and reboots repeatedly.

How to manage these issues?
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day.
Welcome to the forum.
:mrgreen: