Synaptic No Longer Works from the System Admin. Menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Synaptic No Longer Works from the System Admin. Menu

Post by rbeltz48 »

I have tried a number of suggestions given here in another thread but nothing has changed. Synaptic simply doesn't work from the System Administration Menu (nothing happens) and also will not work if I place an icon on the panel. It will ONLY work from the desktop shortcut by right clicking and choosing "Open as Adminsitrator". I have never had a problem like this with any version of Linux which uses Synaptic.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem? If so, what is the solution? Thanks.

Update: I also just found out that I can't change the Time/Date settings, the firewall configuration and some things in Users & Groups. What is going on here? Any replies will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spcastelli

Re: Synaptic No Longer Works from the System Admin. Menu

Post by spcastelli »

Need to know which version of Linuxmint you are using.

Do it from the command line.
Try:
synaptic
and
sudo synaptic

That should give you more information.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I am using Mint 13. When entering "Synaptic" alone in the Terminal, here are the errors:

rick@Beltz-Family ~ $ synaptic

(synaptic:3589): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:3589): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:3589): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
chalesd7

Post by chalesd7 »

I have the same problem
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Since no one here had a simple solution to this problem, I took the time, about 3-1/2 hrs. to re-install the system today. I still have a little tweaking to do. But at least the System Admin. menu is fully functional. That may be your only alternative. Post here if you come up with a simple solution. Have faith. Mint, like all other distros, is a continuing work in progress and FAR, FAR better than WIN. Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”