Dual booting Win7 & Mint, now Win7 won't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jweaver1763

Dual booting Win7 & Mint, now Win7 won't boot

Post by jweaver1763 »

Friend gave me a laptop that is dual booting Win7 and Mint 14. I want to learn more about Linux so using it would be a good start. Only problem (well somewhat) is that Win7 won't boot. When turning on laptop it takes 4-5 minutes to get to selection screen to choose which partition to boot into. If I select Mint it boots right away. Choose Win7 and once it hits the splash screen it sits and stares. I let it sit 2 hours but nothing happened.

I've been trying to get Windows back but have had no luck.
Tried booting recovery partition.... nothing
Tried booting to Win7 install disc.... nope
Tried restoring image.... nada
Ran diskchecks but still no luck in finding anything.

This issue started about 2 weeks after installing Mint so I was guessing it may have something to do with it???? Also since I can only troubleshoot from Mint I figure I should post this problem here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Electroman6913

Re: Dual booting Win7 & Mint, now Win7 won't boot

Post by Electroman6913 »

you might have a hardware or a BIOS issue. It shouldn't take 4 min to get to the grub loader. Make sure you don't have any SD cards or usb sticks in your computer that can make it boot slow. I was wonder if you have tried to boot windows in safe mode. Also when you tried to boot windows recovery was that on a cd or on the hard drive. Have you ran the system repair disk?
jweaver1763

Post by jweaver1763 »

Right after I created this post, it was working fine again but the problem came back.

It's the same problem as before. I made sure all external mouse, flash drive, etc were all disconnected. Only the power cable is plugged in.

I tried the recover partition in the selection and it sits at the splash screen just like when trying from recovery disk. Anything windows related decides it would rather be a painting then an OS.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Tried booting to Win7 install disc.... nope
How far did you get? Booting Win7 isntall disc should not take into consideration anything installed on the hard drive. It will just boot itself and will take you to a screen where you can install or repair Win7.

If there is no problem on your Win7 DVD, I think this would be a hardware issue.

Return to “Installation & Boot”