Linux Mint 14 Nadia installation problem. Help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LU3lnx

Linux Mint 14 Nadia installation problem. Help

Post by LU3lnx »

I'm new in Linux and have an installation problem. I'm trying to install Linux Mint 14 Nadia to my PC. I've downloaded linuxmint-14.1-mate-dvd-32bit.iso and make it work with unetbootin. Now is in drive C, and works fine so I want to install it, but here appears a problem. After selecting language (spanish, my language), having +6.1GB and Internet connection, and after choosing different partitions for /(root), swap and /home, and clicking on InstallNow, it begins the installation, but then appears an error window: "The installer needs to commit changes to partition tables, but cannot do so because partitions on the following mount points could not be unmounted: /cdrom -Please close any applications using these mount points. -Would you like the installer to try to unmount these partitions again?" Thera are 2 buttons: GoBack and Continue, but no one do nothing, and window don't close anyway. I must restart. There are no aplications opened. I've tried removing ubiquity-slideshow-mint from a terminal, but nothing new happens. I need help. Thanks for reading my poor english and for helping.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 14 Nadia installation problem. Help

Post by catweazel »

Restart the installation, delete any partitions already created by the installer, then choose a single root '/' partition for the install. You only need root '/' and swap.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
LU3lnx

Post by LU3lnx »

thank you TehGhodTrole for answering. I have tried but there is no difference, the installation hangs at same point.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Perhaps you should verify the md5sum of the iso you downloaded. Alternatively, if you haven't already done so, reburn the CD at a slower speed, say 8x.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
LU3lnx

Post by LU3lnx »

thanks again, TehGhodTrole, for your answers. Checksums are correct, btw.. I've tried 3 different .iso downloaded from 3 different mirrors. But I'm happy because finally I could install! . If interested, read how I did. The iso and unetbootin were in disc C: so I execute it, from inside windows xp. The live installation was created in C: and there was created mint4win. I wanted to install definitely in E: so i tried copying mint4win and the iso file to E: and executed mint4win from there. There was created amother live mint. I reboot and selected mint, from inside mint I click on Install Mint, and voilá!! It worked!! Now I have Mint 14 in drive E an WXP in C: (and still remains the live version in C: , i expect I can use it for testing in the future.. if need to) . Mint works great, is very fast, I'm learning and configuring it, but I like it very much! Thanks for your assistance, TehGhodTrole, and sry for difficulties understanding my english. I'm very happy with Mint and with this forum. Juan, from Argentina.

Return to “Installation & Boot”