Windows from recovery from linux?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jakasaurus

Windows from recovery from linux?

Post by jakasaurus »

Hi, I have a Packard Bell Easy Note TK-87 64 bit was runing windows 7 and mint on a dual boot thanks to a virus I have lost windows but have found my recovery partition on my hardrive on my hardrive with linux mint. I have no clue how to get this to run or if will even run. If you can help but need more information then please do not hesistate to ask also I am not afraid of losing my stuff my only ask is I have no USB's or DVD's to hand at the moment so all those options are out of the window.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Windows from recovery from linux?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jakasaurus.

You should consult the notebook manual in order to find out how to boot from the recovery partition and how to restore the machine to its factory state.
You might also try to find the instruction which applies to your special notebook type on the maufacturer website or on the vendor website.

But beware:
Recovering the notebook with the help of the recovery partition will reset the whole machine to the factory state.
Very likely this will remove your complete Mint installation as a side effect.
I have no USB's or DVD's to hand at the moment so all those options are out of the window.
In this situation I would do nothing at the moment. I would simply go on using Mint for the moment till I have re-gained access to my USB pendrive / USB harddisk / DVDs etc.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Packard Bell wrote:If the problem persists, use the recovery software to restore Windows to the original factory state:
  • Make a backup of personal data, as the recovery process will erase all your files, such as email and photos.
    Power on your computer. When the Packard Bell logo is displayed, press and hold the ALT key while pressing repeatedly the F10 key. Release the keys when a message displays that Windows is loading files.
    After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.
    In case the recovery software does not start, you need to use Recovery DVDs or CDs
SOURCE:

Code: Select all

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/pb/en/GB/content/online-support
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

jakasaurus wrote:Hi, I have a Packard Bell Easy Note TK-87 64 bit was runing windows 7 and mint on a dual boot thanks to a virus I have lost windows but have found my recovery partition on my hardrive on my hardrive with linux mint. I have no clue how to get this to run or if will even run. If you can help but need more information then please do not hesistate to ask also I am not afraid of losing my stuff my only ask is I have no USB's or DVD's to hand at the moment so all those options are out of the window.
Sorry for the perhaps unhelpful question, but how do you know it was a virus?

There are several possible reasons for Windows failures, for example drive errors, or some corrupted files or applications, or a corrupted registry. None of them has to do with virus activity. If drive problems led to the failure, you may need to check the drive and mark bad sectors, or even replace the drive altogether.

If it was a virus, was MSE not able to catch it? Just curious (and worried for my Win 7 install). I was hoping Microsoft had improved a bit.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/

Return to “Other topics”