USB iPhone tethering doesn't work

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pustul

USB iPhone tethering doesn't work

Post by Pustul »

Hi guys,
I just recently switched from Ubuntu to Mint and I have trouble getting my iPhone tethering to work on my Mint 14 Cinnamon. I'm not sure but it seemed to worked out of the box the first day but now when I click on the network icon I can see: Apple iPhone cable unplugged.

I tried to install the package I used to use in Ubuntu:
*ipheth-utils
*libimobiledevice-dev
*libimobiledevice-utils

But same behaviour as before. I looked all over this forums and google but didn't found a fix for this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerofill

Re: USB iPhone tethering doesn't work

Post by zerofill »

Did you ever find a fix for this issue? Having the same problem.
lysander

Post by lysander »

Same problem with Mint 15 Olivia Mate.

lsmod lists ipheth and the taskbar network icon lists an iphone ethernet connect but there is no option to connect.

I also tried getting the bluetooth tethering setup. The error there was:

Code: Select all

Connection Failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 707, in _message_cb
    retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
  File "<string>", line 2, in ServiceProxy
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueman/plugins/applet/DBusService.py", line 121, in ServiceProxy
    self.Applet.Plugins.RunEx("service_connect_handler", cb, interface, object_path, _method, args, ok, err)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueman/main/PluginManager.py", line 231, in RunEx
    ret = getattr(inst, function)(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueman/plugins/applet/NMPANSupport.py", line 333, in service_connect_handler
    conn = self.find_active_connection(d.Address, "panu")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueman/plugins/applet/NMPANSupport.py", line 290, in find_active_connection
    nma_connection = self.find_connection(address, type)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueman/plugins/applet/NMPANSupport.py", line 278, in find_connection
    conns = self.nma.ListConnections()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ListConnections'
Help. Thx.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

There is a good solution called Android... Works fine for me :)
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

I read in [url=http://www.downtowndougbrown.com/2012/12/tethering-iphone-5-over-usb-on-ubuntu-12-10-ugly-hack/]this[/url] , you need update kernel. You can use Mint update manager, open update manager, select edit>preferences . select level 4 and 5 .
Or you can used terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
lysander

Post by lysander »

Angtagapagligt wrote:There is a good solution called Android... Works fine for me :)
My android works fine too. GF has the iphone. She is pushing for a windows installation. If we can't fix the wifi bottleneck or the iphone problem I might have to give in.
EricBellavance

Post by EricBellavance »

Have you tried to reboot the iPhone? That solved my problem after 3 days searching why tethering was not working in ubuntu/mint/fedora.

The iPhone was detected but networkmanager show as cable unplugged. The reboot solved my issue

regards,

Eric
jns

Post by jns »

EricBellavance wrote:Have you tried to reboot the iPhone? That solved my problem after 3 days searching why tethering was not working in ubuntu/mint/fedora.
I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I'm not a mint user, but have been frustrated for days trying to tether my iPhone 5 with Fedora 18. I can't believe I didn't think of something as simple as rebooting my phone. Now tethering is working again over usb. Again, many thanks!

Return to “Networking”