Linux Mint 14 wifi issue

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xxnyan

Linux Mint 14 wifi issue

Post by xxnyan »

Hi. I recently switched to Linux Mint and while it works fine I have a bit of an issue with the wifi, when I turn on the computer I connect to the internet just fine but if I disconnect or turn of the wifi or whatever and I try to connect again the computer keeps asking for the WEP key over and over again and never really connects. Also, the Linux computers in my house seem to be "weaker" in recieving wifi, don't know how to explain but if I am in a room where I can get wifi but is a little far from the router a Windows/Mac computer or a smartphone would detect the signal and connect but the Linux computer would have problems, like if the signal was even farther away. I've always had wifi issues on all Linux distros I have tried. :?

Anyway, just in case here are my outputs for inxi -N and rfkill list
inxi -N
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169
rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
2: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
3: hp-wwan: Wireless WAN
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 14 wifi issue

Post by karlchen »

Hello, xxnyan.

When I disconnect from the network (to my ADSL router) and try to reconnect the dialogue asking for the passphrase may or may not occur. Simply confirming the passphrase which is inside the dialogue box already will reconnect me. So I have never bothered to think too much about why the dialogue pops up sporadically after a(n unplanned) disconnect. Means I doubt there is a way of making sure it will not happen and that re-connecting will always be done fully automatically.

About the question why the wifi signal needs to be stronger for Linux to accept it and connect to the WLAN:
I assume this may be related to the WLAN driver which you are using. I could imagine that generic drivers coming with the Mint distribution do not always support your wifi adapater so well as a proprietary driver created by the manufacturer.

So it may be worthwhile going to Menu => System Administration => Additional Hardware or Menu => System Administration => WLAN adapters (This is what Mint 13 Cinnamon desktop offers to me.) in order to check whether a proprietary driver for your wifi adapter is available.
On Mint 14 these menu items are no longer available, they have been relocated to somewhere inside Synaptic. Will have to launch Mint14 in order to verify the exact location inside Synaptic.

About your inxi output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
would have given more details about the hardware, about the wifi adapters, too. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
xxnyan

Post by xxnyan »

In my case, no matter how I disconnect (accidentally or on purpose) I can't connect again and I have to restart my computer to "fix" it. Kind of annoying since my intertet's pretty bad :(

Do you mean the Synaptic Package Manager? I found it but don't know how to use it lol

Anyway, here is my inxi output
inxi -Fx
System: Host: a-laptop Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC version: 0691120000204610000620100
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1695 version: KBC Version 15.18 Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: F.21 date: 06/28/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2330M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8780.46
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 78:e3:b5:5b:57:90
Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce port: 4000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: ac:81:12:9b:0e:3c
Drives: HDD Total Size: 640.1GB (19.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD6400BPVT size: 640.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 5.4G (29%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 566G used: 112G (20%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: 0.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 159 Uptime: 1:48 Memory: 1000.0/3902.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, xxnyan.

Having gone through your "inxi -Fx" report, I think it shoudl be pointed out that the wifi adapter which causes trouble is not
xxnyan wrote:inxi -N
driver: r8169
This is the wired network card. The wifi adapter is
inxi -Fx
[...]
Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce port: 4000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: ac:81:12:9b:0e:3c
[...]
You may have been aware of this fact. But reader might incorrectly assume the wifi adapter were the RTL8101E/RTL8102E, because itwas named explicitly in the initial post, whereas it really is the RTL8188CE.

One detail which I had not added yet is where to find additional proprietary drivers on Mint 14: Synaptic => Settings => Repositories => Tab "Additional Drivers". Provided there are any proprietary drivers for your machine they will be listed here. (I am only offered drivers for my Nvidia graphics card, none for my wireless network adapter.)

Currently I have got no idea why your wifi adapter refuses to reconnect except after a reboot.
Maybe some other users who expereince the same problem, maybe affecting a Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter, can share some helpful knowledge.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, xxnyan.

Googling for "Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter" I came across this: 12.10 x64 - RTL8188CE - Intermittent/Slow Internet Connection. Yes, it is about Ubuntu, not Mint. But Mint is based on Ubuntu. Yes, it is about Ubuntu 12.04, but Mint 14 corresponds to Ubuntu 12.10. Nonetheless, the second piece of advice given in that thread might help. If not, then it should be undone easily.

This one on the same Askubuntu page might be even better: Realtek RTL8188CE wireless is slow. It is about Ubuntu 12.10 which corresponds to Mint 14. Seems as if Realtek have released new drivers for Ubuntu 12.10.
Note that if you install them you should not apply the advice given in the previous thread.

Karl
Lifeline
xxnyan

Post by xxnyan »

Thanks, I looked at the threads and for the first one I don't have any file named rtl8192.conf (or am I supposed to create it?), I do have something on the same place that's supposed to be called iwlwifi.conf

As for the second thread I downloaded the file but I don't really get it, I looked at the read me and tried to install it but it just gives me errors, but maybe I am doing it wrong though :/
xxnyan

Post by xxnyan »

I keep trying to install the driver following the read me file but I keep getting this error
make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
gcc: error: /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build/include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:49: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/user/rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0006.0321.2011/HAL/rtl8192/Makefile". Fix it to use ccflags-y. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/user/rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0006.0321.2011/HAL/rtl8192] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Any help?
ashbaby

Post by ashbaby »

It is a bug, happens to me too.. what i use as a workaround is first time it asks for WEP key, i disable the wifi using the laptops FN key and the corresponding Function key (F8 or F12 depending on the make and model) wait and then toggle it back on and let it find the network automatically, dont select the network from the dropdown.

And yes, i do find the weakness in signal issue too.. the signal shows only 65% even if i am right up close to the router whereas by other laptop and cellphones show 100% signal.

I also upgraded the kernel manually and have lesser issues since.
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

This seems to be a recurring issue with the realtek hardware, I bought a toshiba laptop abount a month ago now and right out of the box with Windows 8 the wifi was sketchy and the hardwire didn't work at all.
xxnyan

Post by xxnyan »

Oh, cool, I'll try that workaround the next time it happens. As for the signal, the signal I get in my room is about a 64%-77%, but sometimes it behaves like if I was getting like a 15%.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

This appears to me to be an appropriate thread. I am trying Mint 14. I am so new at Linux that I have just learned how to spell Mint. I'll give a description of where I am at.
Boot from the Mint 14 iso and everything seems all right. I don't have a Wireless net connection the software detects my lan cards but not the wireless card. After reading this thread I determined my wireless card is a broadcom bcm 43228. I found a package in the Synaptic manager for it but you have to be connected to the net to download it. It is kinda like the chicken or the egg. I can't get there from here.

I tried Ubuntu 12 and although it didn't load the drivers for the wireless card on boot I was successful in using the installers on it to connect to the net with my hardware. I am kind of wondering where to go from here.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

ashbaby wrote:It is a bug, happens to me too.. what i use as a workaround is first time it asks for WEP key, i disable the wifi using the laptops FN key and the corresponding Function key (F8 or F12 depending on the make and model) wait and then toggle it back on and let it find the network automatically, dont select the network from the dropdown.

And yes, i do find the weakness in signal issue too.. the signal shows only 65% even if i am right up close to the router whereas by other laptop and cellphones show 100% signal.

I also upgraded the kernel manually and have lesser issues since.
Just had a time dealing with the same thing on my sony lap top. What I did was change my wireless router settings to a different channel. It was on 11 moved it to 1 and everything is great no more drops etc.
davebold370

Post by davebold370 »

Hello everyone. I have the same problem. I installed the Wicd network manager as stated above, but I still have fluxing network connections. I will run from 100% to 0% randomly. This causes problems with downloads. I downloaded and installed the drivers here (RTL8188CE I used us3):
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... loads=true
but it didn't prove worth anything. The Wicd keeps it going, but when it drops It also drops any downloads/uploads i might be doing.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Here is my inxi:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
System:    Host: asus-mint-K53E Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K53E version: 1.0 serial: BSN12345678901234567
           Bios: American Megatrends version: K53E.221 date: 08/10/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2430M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9578.94 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 104x39 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c ver: 1.0.1.0-NAPI port: b000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 54:04:a6:22:11:c6
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce port: c000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 74:2f:68:67:0b:44
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54755 size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 57G used: 7.3G (14%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 177 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 955.0/7765.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
greg851

Post by greg851 »

Hi All,
So I just fixed a problem similar to this one. I don't know if it will help but I hope it does.

Mint & Network worked fine on several differnet wifi networks.
I began using a new router, Trendnet TEW-651BR to be specific.
Suddenly Network manager kept asking for a password. I was typing it in correctly but still could not get on.

It turned out for me the problem was in the IPv4 settings.
I think that the automatic DHCP dection wasn't working.
It wasn't the router b/c I had another few devices working properly.

THE FIX
I went into the router admin and assigned my computer a static IP address.
Then in Mint's network manager I manually configured IPv4 using the static IP info I input into the router.
Now it works great.

Hope this helps,
Best
Greg

Return to “Networking”