Update without high speed internet service

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WillEllen

Update without high speed internet service

Post by WillEllen »

I want to update a Mint system that uses a dial-up connection. From a 2nd computer with an already updated system, I copied all the .deb files in the File System/var/cache/apt/archives to a flash drive.

Is there any way to do this except install them one by one?
Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Update without high speed internet service

Post by DrHu »

Not sure, since each package whether selectively installed or one-by-one is still installing each package..

You might try this approach
http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2008/04/ ... -packages/
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/406
  • One of the simplest solutions is to setup a caching proxy server which will be used to fetch packages by each host. This will ensure that packages are downloaded from the network the first time they are requested, then when the next two machines come to request the same package it will be fetched from the cache - not using up any external bandwidth at all!
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It is exactly the same as updating from the internet, just copy the files into /var/cache/apt/archives on the other machine and update through synaptic or the command line.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
I do this all the time on multiple ubuntu based installations, no need to keep downloading the same stuff over again. My installations are all on the same machine, so I actually just upgrade one installation then sync the /var/cache/apt/archives files between the two installs using an rsync gui and then run the upgrade on the other installation.
WillEllen

Post by WillEllen »

How do you copy the files into /var/cache/apt/archives on the other machine? It seems that you are prevented from doing this in the file manager.
Willellen
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

You need to be root to have write access. Try this in terminal.

sudo cp /var/cacopy/*.deb /var/cache/apt/archives
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

viking777 - when you do that - do you get any dependency errors?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Pierre wrote:viking777 - when you do that - do you get any dependency errors?.
Never.
WillEllen

Post by WillEllen »

I get an error message that states "Permission denied". How do I get "permission" in this file manager? I believe that the Dolphin file manager allows you to log in as root for things like this.

WillEllen
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep click on Root in dolphin find Var folder and right click folder and select root actions>open in file manager.
Now you have a root access dolphin. Usually to be extra safe I find the files I want to copy and right click copy them then browse into the root/var folder and right click paste the files. But what ever works for you.

Just be careful and make sure you close that Root File manager when done and don't continue to use it.
Regular user dolphin will be all you need except for situations when needing to copy to or modify a file in root.
WillEllen

Post by WillEllen »

Is there a way to do this in the Mate 14 File Manager or must I install dolphin?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

nope just open a sudo or root file manager like caja for mate.
Sorry don't use so don't know if there is an action in file manager for that.

Guess you could open a terminal and type in.

gksudo caja
To start one.

Return to “Beginner Questions”