How to undo commands that half worked

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to undo commands that half worked

Postby jamsterthecool on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi,

Since I haven't found any advice to the contrary, I tried to install ubuntu one by following the method via this link http://askubuntu.com/questions/10271/is-running-ubuntu-one-on-debian-possible which was included in a thread on this forum marked as [solved]

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=77791

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install bzr python-lazr.restfulclient python-oauth python-pyinotify python-protobuf gnome-common gobject-introspection xutils-dev libnautilus-extension-dev libgconf2-dev libebook1.2-dev gnome-settings-daemon-dev python-twisted-names python-libproxy python-distutils-extra python-setuptools
mkdir ~/u1; cd ~/u1
bzr branch lp:ubuntuone-client/stable-1-4 client
bzr branch lp:ubuntuone-storage-protocol/stable-1-4 protocol
bzr branch lp:ubuntu-sso-client/stable-1-0 sso
bzr branch lp:configglue
sed -i~ -e 's/Spinner()/Label("...")/; /spinner.start/D' sso/ubuntu_sso/gui.py
(cd protocol; python setup.py build)
(cd client; ./autogen.sh --with-protocol=../protocol --with-sso=../sso --prefix=/usr; make)

All seems well until I got

"
checking for DBUS... no
configure: error: Package requirements (dbus-glib-1 >= 0.70) were not met:

No package 'dbus-glib-1' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DBUS_CFLAGS
and DBUS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

So I installed dbus-glib-1 via the package manager and then re-entered the command

Code: Select all
(cd client; ./autogen.sh --with-protocol=../protocol --with-sso=../sso --prefix=/usr; make)[code]

This time I got
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

I looked in the package manager and wasn't quite sure what to install ,so I've decided to give up on this install :( .

Apart from removing the dbus-glib-1,which I have already done,will there be any unwanted "stuff" left over on my system that I need to remove . Just trying to keep a clean and healthy system .

Thanks for any help !
Linux Mint Debian Edition- 64bit- Cinnamon (latest update)
jamsterthecool
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to undo commands that half worked

Postby jamsterthecool on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:30 am

I'd appreciate a little help on this please . The above commands have definitely modified my system a little.For example, placing the Ubuntu one folder in my home folder .
Linux Mint Debian Edition- 64bit- Cinnamon (latest update)
jamsterthecool
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to undo commands that half worked

Postby BryanM6 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:30 am

I suggest that you do a clean install of the operating system. I make an external copy of my whole hard drive on a USB hard drive when all is working correctly, then when a situation like this arises it is easy to copy back the previous situation. The program for this is called Clonezilla.

I am still struggling myself to get the Ubuntu One Cloud working properly. You might like to try this link: https://one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/#file-
sync-sharing_ftp

BryanM6
BryanM6
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions