Window resizing with the mouse--size of target, corners

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattmorgan

Window resizing with the mouse--size of target, corners

Post by mattmorgan »

Is there a way, in Cinnamon, to cause the pointer target for resizing windows to be larger? I don't have too much trouble hitting the vertical and horizontal resizing strips, but hitting the corners is really hard.

Also--can I cause the upper corners to allow window resizing, too, not just the lower corners?

Thanks,
Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Window resizing with the mouse--size of target, corners

Post by catweazel »

I blame fat cursors for this so I use the DMZ cursor theme. Still, the issue you mention seems to be generic to linux as I have exactly the same problem in KDE. The corner grips are simply not big enough and it takes a lot of mouse manoeuvering to be able to grab them. Sometimes I give up in frustration and resize windows using the horizontal and vertical grips independently.

That said, it's more likely due to the mouse being set to too high a resolution. I have one of those new-fangled Microsoft Sidewinder mice that has on-the-fly adjustable resolution. Dropping the mouse to a lower resolution results in success. You might look at your mouse settings and adjust the resolution down a bit so that it takes a bit more mouse movement to cover a given distance.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

The suggestion for changing resolution sounds good. You may also want to try holding down the left Alt key and use your middle button on the mouse anywhere in the window to resize it. Works in Xfce and Enlightenment but Cinnamon won't load on my second machine :( so I can't test it.

Pat

Edit: Got a Cinnamon live disk to run on this computer and confirmed - Alt and middle button will resize there so you don't have to have that pinpoint accuracy.
mattmorgan

Post by mattmorgan »

Thanks, you guys, I'll experiment with those suggestions. Much appreciated.

Return to “Cinnamon”