Upgrade error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CaptainMark

Upgrade error

Post by CaptainMark »

For the last couple of weeks mintupdate has been hanging at the end of updating waiting for me to close it, I just assumed it was some new behaviour until I clicked the details arrow to see if there was any reason it was staying open instead of closing on its own when done and there is this error displayed at the end of the output

W: Waited for dpkg --assert-multi-arch but it wasn't there - dpkgGo (10: No child processes)

I tried googling but that didn't bring back anything that seemed relevant, only old stuff from years back.
Can anyone tell me what this error means and how to resolve it, I haven't been messing around with any heavy package management recently so I don't know what I've done to cause this.
Also which back end (if this is the right word) does mintupdate use, as in does it run apt-get or something in the background?

Running Mint 14 64 bit with backports enabled but not Romeo repo

Many Thanks,
Mark

EDIT: I should mention I have no problems using sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Upgrade error

Post by DrHu »

Googling (internet search..) gets me this..
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1024650
--I would think 64bit backports could be an issue, but the link suggests it is the latest dkpg program update that is the error/bug

I would also think that a mixed install, 64bit, 32bit and various library choices can also be an issue
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... p=12040642
--see post #4, for 64bit areas, may fix, even it is an older post..(circa 2006..¸)
You may prefer to be cautious, although you could save the initial files before editing (libs), or wait for some other Mint poster to offer a better choice..

I usually use the command line to get up-to-date

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
--and if it is due to dkpg , updating/upgrading that first before or updating/upgrading mintupdate program first before running any other installs would be helpful.
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

Well I did see this launchpad bug report but I dismissed it based on the fact that I was sure it was something I had done rather than a bug as such. But still thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I've trawled back through my bash history and I did install a 32bit package a few weeks ago following a guide to get the Steam clients built in flash video player working, apparently it only works on 32 for now. I have removed this package and 'apt-get autoremoved' its dependencies, hopefully in a few days when I use mint update again I wont have this error, I will report back.

Its weird that dpkg complains about 32 bit packages but apt-get can handle them no problem

Many Thanks
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

I've removed the offending package but alas, the error remains.

Return to “Software & Applications”