Sound on multi-user system

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbbolton

Sound on multi-user system

Post by dbbolton »

I'm on Maya 64 bit Cinnamon edition. About 4 people use this desktop regularly. One user, for some unknown reason, always turns the sound all the way down from the software mixer after logging in. If another user is logged in at the same time, and let's say has the volume set at 50%, that user won't have sound after unlocking their session. They will have to log out and log back in.

This actually seems like a bug with pulse to me, but I wanted to get some input before submitting a report.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Sound on multi-user system

Post by DrHu »

It is user sound control, presumably all users are in a sound group and can modify sound levels: I don't think it can be called a bug, simply a user designated procedure
--I think it is more to do with desktops all being assigned the same X-server and not having completely independent control of all features of the desktop themes/sound, fonts and so on...
  • Or the last session creates the look for others, especially if you don't have session logoff at the end of each session (lock screens only..)
And the obvious reason that this specific user lowers the sound volume is that he/she doesn't want it that loud..
--if people know this (the 4 users), then either they can request the user that lowers the volume to reset it before locking their session, or the other users can expect to logout/login to set the volume for themselves
  • Getting the default setting (volume) by logout/login seems perfectly normal
    --you are just getting the system defaults by this relogging process..

Return to “Sound”