Can only print once, then have to reboot to print again

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintyBob

Can only print once, then have to reboot to print again

Post by MintyBob »

Hi all.

I just moved to Mint 14.1 with Cinnanmon. My printer is a Samsung ML-2250, attached by USB.

My problem is that I can only print a document/web page/PDF once. A second attempt at printing causes the job to be processed and spooled to the printer. Instead of the correct page, I get page after page with a single line of garbled text at the top of each page. Even if I kill the print job, and try printing again, the problem reoccurs. If I reboot, I can print one doc/page/PDF fine. The interesting thing is after a document has printed, if I go to print a page from Firefox, the message "Sending data to printer" appears to the right of the printer name.

The computer has a Win7 partition on it, and the printing works fine. Previously I had Xubuntu on here, and that worked as well. Everything else works fine.

Regards,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Samsung ML-2250 malfunction

Post by pdc_2 »

I wonder which driver you are currently using: can you tell us?

so OpenPrinting says of your ML-2250

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Sam ... ng-ML-2250

it works mostly........

the page offers your several different drivers for your device;

you may like to try several and see which best suits you

If you paste this link http://localhost:631/admin or click on it ........

it opens CUPS that manages printing......in your computer; as you see you can add new printers; so you can have several drivers; with different names; for the same printer
MintyBob

Re: Can only print once, then have to reboot to print again

Post by MintyBob »

Thanks for the thoughts and links.

I was running PXLMONO. I tried several of the GDI drivers, but the problem still occcured. Finally, I chose the "Samsung ML-2550 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9" driver, and that seems to work. If the problem resurfaces, I will let you know.

Bob
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I chose the "Samsung ML-2550 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9" driver, and that seems to work.
.....that's great........the open source folks who maintain gutenprint will be chuffed!
MintyBob

Post by MintyBob »

I spoke too soon.

Printing regular word processing documents is fine. Pages with bitmap graphics come out all garbled. The problem I sell fulltime on eBay and Amazon, which uses bitmap graphics for the postage labels. I had to switch back to the PXLMONO driver, to print my label, then reboot, and print another label.

I think for now I'm going to switch to the Gutenberg driver for regular word processing/daily tasks. When doing online labels, I'll boot into Windows 7 and batch process my eBay and Amazon labels.

As an aside, I was using the PXLMONO.PPD when running Xubuntu.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”