Graphic glitches in the window decorations and context menus

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Art1

Graphic glitches in the window decorations and context menus

Post by Art1 »

I have noticed two small graphic bugs in Mint 14 Cinnamon. The first one is that sometimes the top left corner of a window (of the window manager decoration) becomes black or disappear. The affected window keeps this hole until I close the window.

I don't know if the second one is a bug, but it looks strange. If I right-click on the desktop background, a context menu appears, which has some letters underlined. But if I move the mouse cursor in the menu, all underlined letters become non-underlined.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Graphic glitches in the window decorations and context m

Post by catweazel »

Those issues would have been noticed if they were bugs, and there's a distinct lack of posts reporting the issue. So it's more likely the theme you're using is buggy or corrupt. Either that or your video card or RAM is dying a slow death.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Art1

Post by Art1 »

I have tested Mint 14 Cinnamon on two computers and I used the default theme Mint-X. On the same computers, I use some other Linux distributions regularly without problems. So I don't think the themes or the computers are corrupt. Maybe it depends on the graphic card or the graphic driver. On my two computers, system informations show Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV350. The corner bug occurs only from time to time, not every day. The background context menu does it always.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Art1 wrote:I don't think the themes or the computers are corrupt.
Then that leaves your video card or RAM dying a slow death.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Art1

Post by Art1 »

So, I have tested the background context menu issue on four different computers with three different graphic cards and with tested RAM (memtest, several hours). When the background context menu is open and I move the cursor into the menu, it changes the underlined characters on all tested computers with all tested themes. I also tried Mint 14 MATE without this issue, so it is a bug in Mint 14 Cinnamon.

I haven't enough time to test the window corner issue on all computers, but I noticed it on two computers with tested RAM and with Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV350, so I would like to ask if anybody with older ATI noticed it, too. Mint 14 MATE on the same computers works without problems.

Return to “Cinnamon”