Mouse pointer flickers in Firefox?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Mouse pointer flickers in Firefox?

Post by ander111 »

Hi guys,

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask about this, but I'll give it a shot.

I've just installed Mint 14 XFCE on my son's PC. He's complaining that when he uses his mouse wheel to scroll in Firefox, his mouse pointer keeps flickering.

I tried it, and it seems like FF is deliberately hiding the mouse pointer during scrolling. I can see why that'd make sense—after all, when you're scrolling, you're looking at content, not at the mouse pointer. But this behaviour doesn't happen in FF under Mint 14 Cinnamon, nor in Windows 7... So is it possible it's an XFCE issue?

Do you know if there's any way to keep FF from hiding the mouse pointer while scrolling? Or is it an XFCE-wide setting of some kind? In FF, we've tried enabling/disabling Smooth Scrolling and Hardware Acceleration, but they had no effect.

Thanks, Ander
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mouse pointer flickers in Firefox?

Post by catweazel »

ander111 wrote:his mouse wheel to scroll in Firefox, his mouse pointer keeps flickering.
http://bit.ly/Y33u4U
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

TehGhodTrole wrote:http://bit.ly/Y33u4U
Yes, very clever. (The link points to a sarcastic "Let me Google that for you" page.) We spent half an hour searching about this before I posted here. If you'd rather not help, just do us both a favour and move on to another topic.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

<shrug>
The solution is right there.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Are you referring to disabling Flash? We already tried that; it didn't work.

If you don't want to help, that's fine. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you'd either be specific about the fix or point me to the actual page where it's described. Thanks.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Okay, it wasn't XFCE. I tried Mint 14 XFCE, Cinnamon and Mate on my PC (from a live USB) and they didn't flicker—and they all did flicker on my son's PC.

Then I remembered my son's PC has an Nvidia graphics card—and that in Linux, you have to install the Nvidia drivers separately. So we did that. Now, not only is the flickering mouse pointer gone, but everything is nice and fast and smooth.

In case anyone else needs to install the Nvidia drivers (which you should do only if you have an Nvidia graphics card!), here's the easy way we found:

1. Open a Terminal window (Menu > Terminal) and type this command in it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
2.Press Enter and wait for the installation to finish. (There are a couple of places where everything pauses for a while; be sure to wait till the original command prompt returns.)

3. Restart your PC (Menu > Quit > Restart).

Return to “Xfce”