lost files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revilogluck

lost files

Post by revilogluck »

hey all,
i am using linux mint on a dell laptop and i tried to restore my panel to default, but it seems i have restored the entire system to default and as a result i have lost all my files, photos, movies, documents etc. please please please if anyone can help to recover these files it would be much appreciated. peace x

p.s the code i typed was:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --shutdown
rm -rf ~/ .gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: lost files

Post by catweazel »

The gconf code isn't important. What is important is how you restored your system. Please describe what you did.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
revilogluck

Post by revilogluck »

all i did was type the code into terminal and in less then a second everything was reset to default. thanks for the help, i really dont know anything about how it all works
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Well, there is no way on this planet that you lost all your 'files, photos, movies, documents etc' from typing in those commands.

Either you're not being clear about what the real problem is or you're not describing everything that you did. What is it that makes you believe the files have been lost?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
revilogluck

Post by revilogluck »

Sorry for the late reply... That's the thing, i know i couldn't have lost them so quickly. The system is now as it would be if i had just set it up new, with no personal content, so i don't know how i can find my files
Zikco

Post by Zikco »

revilogluck wrote: p.s the code i typed was:

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/ .gconf/apps/panel
Umm... that space in the rm command, is that a typo, or is that exactly verbatim as you entered the command into the terminal? :shock:
If that's what you typed, your files may be gone forever.

Return to “Beginner Questions”