(Solved) 64 bit or Pae kernal?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Viking64

(Solved) 64 bit or Pae kernal?

Post by Viking64 »

Should I use a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS with Pae kernal? Which is more reliable?

Also, is Linux Mint Debian recommended for beginners?
I am looking for something that is solid and reliable.

Thanks,

Viking64
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 64 bit or Pae kernal?

Post by catweazel »

Should I use a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS with Pae kernal? Which is more reliable?
http://bit.ly/YeoUOV
Try it. It really depends on your ability to learn.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I am looking for something that is solid and reliable.

It depends on what you are doing, what hardware you are using and how tolerant you are of the resulting results of each install option. I recently did a lot of transcoding and the 64 bit was the way to go in my opinion, however that is just one opinion on one usage.
As to "is Linux Mint Debian recommended for beginners" I agree with TehGhodTrole on this. It is very much a case by case, user by user situation. Everyone tolerates the steeper learning curve differently. Good Luck
Viking64

Post by Viking64 »

Is 64 bit just as reliable as 32 bit?
The reason I ask is because I have heard people say that 64 bit still has problems and recommend using 32 bit with pae kernal.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

64 bit seems very stable to me. The only downside of 64 bit vs 32 bit is if you happen to use a lot of 32 bit applications, you end up with many megabytes of ia32 libraries in your 64 bit OS.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Viking64

Post by Viking64 »

Thanks for the help. :mrgreen: :D :D
Viking64

Return to “Beginner Questions”