Computer with Internet give it to Computer Without?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Computer with Internet give it to Computer Without?

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Computer A has WiFi and can access the Internet through it. It is running Mint 14.

Computer B cannot access Internet. Assume one of the following to be true: It has older WiFi that cannot use the correct security format to access the signal (no WPA/WPA2 capability). Or it has no WiFi access whatsoever and the only way to access Internet is via WiFi.

Can computer A give Internet access to B? B may be running Mint as well (if it is a requirement, then that is no problem).

If so, how? Does computer A access Internet via its WiFi and then echo both that and computer B back and forth wirelessly (remember, must be two different security protocols for that to work)? Or does computer A access Internet via its WiFi and access computer B via wired Ethernet cable and pass data back and forth?

Extreme speed is not a priority; giving computer B Internet access is.

If this is possible, please explain how to do it. Use simple words if humanly possible to do so. Pictures may be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
MDM

No, this is not just an intellectual exercise.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

More Information (Wanting to Share Internet Access Two Lapto

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Further information:

My laptop can connect to the Internet (via WiFi) at my home. But it overheats and I'd have to completely disassemble it down to the motherboard in order to R&R the heatsink/fan assembly, which I am not prepared to do yet (mainly because my eyes are in poor condition and it is hard for me to do things that involve tiny parts/screws, but I am also a bit of a klutz :roll: ). If I set it outside in the cold, it is fine for non-power functions.

My friend was thinking about selling an old laptop. It's got issues of its own, but overheating isn't one of them. It cannot connect to the Internet via WiFi, but can do so with no problems via Ethernet. She told me if I cleaned it up and got it in decent shape for eventual sale, I could use it for a while before she sells it. I managed to install Mint 14 Xfce on it 8) . So both laptops are running the same version of the same OS (if that helps?).

I was thinking that I could place mine outside and run my Ethernet cable through the window to my desk (just inside the window) and plug the cable into both laptops' Ethernet ports. IF I can somehow use this setup to provide Internet connectivity to the one inside, it would make things much more comfortable for me (I've managed to get sick and would really rather stay inside right now).

I really do not have a clue how to set up something like this. I believe I once read that Microsoft Windows OS can do this - and that they call it ICS or Internet Connection Sharing (or something like that)? But, as you can imagine, I do not wish to use Microsoft OS.

BtW, if it makes a difference, the Ethernet cable that I have is a regular one, not a crossover or whatever they call it. I really hope this is not a problem.

Thanks in advance,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
BrowserXL

Re: Computer with Internet give it to Computer Without?

Post by BrowserXL »

Hmmm. As it seems it should work. I haven't tried myself, but according to this post it should work: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=102779

Depending on the age of your machines, a crossover cable might be necessary. Normally these days built in network cards have the ability to auto detect the mode necesary to run such a connection, while older cards explicitely need crossover. You will have to try it out.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

BrowserXL wrote:Hmmm. As it seems it should work. I haven't tried myself, but according to this post it should work: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=102779

Depending on the age of your machines, a crossover cable might be necessary. Normally these days built in network cards have the ability to auto detect the mode necesary to run such a connection, while older cards explicitely need crossover. You will have to try it out.
I will check your link out.

As for the age of the laptops: Old... and older. I think the newer one (mine) might be as new as 2004, but I am not certain. It's an HP dv6226us. The loaner laptop is an HP ze5200.

Thank you,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

New information: I may have to use Microsoft Windows XP as the OS on the loaner laptop (which is the one that cannot connect to the Internet via WiFi) due to not, as of yet, being able to figure out how to get decent video performance with that laptop's ATI IGP340M/RS200 graphics in linux (it's actually pretty decent/usable - especially considering the limitations of the hardware - in Windows XP, so it must be a software and/or driver issue).

I have only been trying to find a solution for its abysmal graphics performance under linux since yesterday, so it is within the realm of possibility that I will find one - or that some kind person will answer the thread I created about it here and help me - in the next day or two. I had to leave to go help my mother right after replying to your post, so I have not as of yet had time to read the thread that you linked, and I have been awake for the best part of the last two days and am rather sick AtM, so I am going to bed soon. But I will both read your thread and continue the search for a solution to my graphics issue tomorrow. In the event that I cannot find a solution and am forced - against my will, believe me :lol: - to use Microsoft Windows XP on the loaner laptop, I do hope that this will not be a barrier to being able to get Internet service via an Ethernet cable by way of my laptop (which is able to connect to the Internet via WiFi).

Oh, and the Ethernet cable that I have is not a crossover, it's a regular one. Seems like I'm not having the best luck with hardware these days :cry: .

Thanks again for helping,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Networking”