Steam on Linux- team fortress 2 black screen openGL

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pholey

Steam on Linux- team fortress 2 black screen openGL

Post by pholey »

Hi! Wondering if any other gamers here: I am running mint 14 and I currently have steam on Linux installed. Team fortress two is supported by Linux, however when I boot it up I get nothing but a black screen. I hear the valve intro music, and occasionally the start up music (occasionally being once) ... I googled all day yesterday, and could not find anything that worked. (Mainly the C_LANG fix and it's common others)

I'm running LM 14 32 bit
Cinnamon

I know it's not my system being incapable of running it because I run games such as skyrim on Linux all the time with medium quality. Team fortress 2 is nowhere close to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also on a side note; audiosurf via steam on crossover, can't click the initial ok button.. Just a side note..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Therion87

Re: Steam on Linux- team fortress 2 black screen openGL

Post by Therion87 »

Are you running Cinnamon? or MATE? Either way make sure that composting is off best way to do this is the use the Gnome Classic (No Effects) session when you login. Or you can install this http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/better-s ... -with.html. I personally perfer the latter it works great and everything runs as it should.
mcoumans

Post by mcoumans »

Yep, works great via GnomeClassic/XFCE desktop environments, not on Cinnamon (except if you play games in windowed mode).

Steam-login didn't help either, after login I got a black screen (probably similar to the one you get when trying to play TF2 or Trine2 on a Cinnamon Desktop.
Therion87

Post by Therion87 »

mcoumans wrote:Yep, works great via GnomeClassic/XFCE desktop environments, not on Cinnamon (except if you play games in windowed mode).

Steam-login didn't help either, after login I got a black screen (probably similar to the one you get when trying to play TF2 or Trine2 on a Cinnamon Desktop.
Shouldn't as the Steam Login uses xfcewm from XFCE nothing from Cinnamon. But, glad it's working for you.
mcoumans

Post by mcoumans »

Therion87 wrote:
mcoumans wrote:Yep, works great via GnomeClassic/XFCE desktop environments, not on Cinnamon (except if you play games in windowed mode).

Shouldn't as the Steam Login uses xfcewm from XFCE nothing from Cinnamon. But, glad it's working for you.
Yes, I discussed the issue with Steam Login, but even though I can run steam+games on XFCE, I cannot login under SteamLogin. The issue is filed as steam bug, but I doubt it's a steam thing, more likely an issue with compositing (Compiz?).

And even though it's nice to be able to play games on steam linux, I rather play them on my "normal" desktop i.e. on Cinnamon, without the need to close all programmes, logoff and log back in.
Therion87

Post by Therion87 »

mcoumans wrote:
Therion87 wrote:

Yes, I discussed the issue with Steam Login, but even though I can run steam+games on XFCE, I cannot login under SteamLogin. The issue is filed as steam bug, but I doubt it's a steam thing, more likely an issue with compositing (Compiz?).

And even though it's nice to be able to play games on steam linux, I rather play them on my "normal" desktop i.e. on Cinnamon, without the need to close all programmes, logoff and log back in.
It's something else, not Compiz the entire point behind Steam Login, is that there is no compiz, no compisiting, no anything except the lightweight xfcewm from XFCE. We would have to review logs to see what is going on and trouble shoot it.
pholey

Post by pholey »

I Got Audiosurf to work in cinnamon by the way, basically it seems that there is a calibration issue (on crossover and wine anyways) and you cannot click where you want to. (such as "ok")

all you need to do is resize your window to various sizes untill the calibration is correct, then once at the start menu, you can proceed to hit fullscreen and play normally.

i probably just saved a bunch of future google-ers time.
technowolf

Post by technowolf »

Hi all,
I'm still getting a black screen (with some sound) when running TF2 in Steam for Linux.
Both the Gnome Classic (no effects) session and Steam login session give me the same black screen.
I don't think I can resize as the game is running in fullscreen and I don't know how to run it in a window.
Any other help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Not sure, if this is solved.
Start steam from terminal and then open TF2 and check for any errors that crop up.

Code: Select all

steam
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410 - Post your issues, higher chances of getting help from steam community.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/di ... 071956036/ - Check this discussion.
To start TF2 in windows mode

-sw -noborder
or

-window
I had a similiar issue but mine is a different problem as I have Nvidia Optimus and had to install bumblebee. Since your other games are working fine, it should not be an issue with graphics card. Anyways post output of

inxi -G
Bad Boy Bubby

Post by Bad Boy Bubby »

you could try ctrl + alt + f1 switch console and then alt + f8 switch back works for the same problem on counterstrike source

I think its to do with the opengl overlay not opening right

Bubby

ps to set windowed mode right click the game in the steam library and select launch options and put in -windowed
technowolf

Post by technowolf »

Thanks anandrkris and buddy, will try those suggestions this evening.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by halregen »

Therion87 wrote:Are you running Cinnamon? or MATE? Either way make sure that composting is off best way to do this is the use the Gnome Classic (No Effects) session when you login. Or you can install this http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/better-s ... -with.html. I personally perfer the latter it works great and everything runs as it should.
I had the same black screen when running flightgear, in Mint Nate. This solves my problem also, after logging in to Gnome Classic, no effects.
SlipperySausage

Post by SlipperySausage »

I was getting these issues as well with CS Source. Since the latest patch it has been fixed - was something weird with Crossfire.

Try run the game with '-windowed' and see if you have the same issue, if it works then it's likely to be your DE
Geeklosopher

Post by Geeklosopher »

BTW I was having the same problem w/ TF2 and I set the launch options in Steam to -windowed and fixed the problem. Hope that helps someone.

Return to “Gaming”