Looking for resources in Washington, DC

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Looking for resources in Washington, DC

Postby lizbeth on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm

I don't know if there really is an appropriate place on this board to post this but here it goes:

So for the first time in 10+ years of using Linux and various distributions of it, I have finally spent the money on a textbook to actually *learn* Linux using only the console, no graphical user interface... This is what the majority of actual Linux Administrators learn. Though admittedly this is the most basic book I have bought. I might be able to test in this knowledge and get a certificate IF I find an opensource event in the area that sponsors the test that is assigned with this one basic book. While it is true I know a lot about Linux from the perspective of a casual user, I don't know everything in this book.

After this comes actual certification training for LPI and such once I have studied those books in depth. There is no actual requirement for training, only a requirement to pass the certification to be certified. Testing and classes are available online and locally. I'm opting for the less expensive online training that I can do at my own pace unless I find an evening program in the Washington DC Metro accessible region that the Veterans Administration training program will pay for. I have until April 2014 to use such resources so time is important.

If you know of such a program for earning Linux Certification(s), please let me know. Thanks!
lizbeth
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Looking for resources in Washington, DC

Postby DrHu on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't know about training: many companies that already offer windows or Apple training will no doubt have some Linux admin training/networking and so on available, but they will tend to be expensive and narrowly focused
http://tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/sag.html
--even as a general user with enough looking, you probably already get (know) enough of this data
But it doesn't necessairly relate to what a company may want/need to see in a Linux administrator..

One can always check Linux certifications, such as RHCE
Red Hat: biggest Linux supplier system in the USA, and most commercial

http://www.flipdog.com/jobs/washington- ... nistrator/
http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx? ... .mc_n=FDJD
    What you need for this position:

-Bachelor's degree or equivalent expertise
    -Must be experience in UNIX/LINUX environment preferred Red Hat Certified Engineer
    -Must have experience with Perl programming
    -Must have hands on experience with ISP products or services
    -Ability to maintain ISP servers
    -Must have experience with DNS, SMTP, FTP
    -Experience in HTTP, SNMP, RADIUS or SSH preferred
    -Experience with source management techniques CVS
    -TCP/IP, VLANs, IP subnetting
    -Ability to manage Firewall servers and web services
    -Experience with Spam Virus detection and blocking
    -Experience in NFS and RAID storage
--you can see they are asking for some certification (RHCE preferred, they don't specify any other), plus networking, servers, firewalls and anti-virus
I would also check jobs sites, they can show you what employers expect from a Linux admin
--most I suspect want skill in scripts (bash, perl and so on) as a minimum

RHCE, the preferred distribution specific certificate for a US Linux admin position..
http://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/rhce/
--you can see that a distribution specific certificate would be more useful to an emploiyer (they will be using such a distribution and want that skill set)

LPI certificates are probably a better general certificate and possibly good for companies that may not use a commercial Linux OS
--so for example Ubuntu or Mint ? (or whatever distrowatch indicates is more popular) could be a way to go

In any case.
  • Scripting
    --the bash shell + perl or python
  • Networking
    --servers plus tcp (especially IP6.)
    --VPN and remote management
  • Firewalls
  • Anti-virus
  • New devices
    --example smartphones: Blackberry servers
  • Telephony and smartphones
    PBX, for example Asterisk, andoid, ios (apple). Blackberry
    There is plenty to work on
..And you definitely don't need to get it all (even as a survey or general idea), since you can pick your spot and become an expert in that..
--So web programming, forum management

If you are just starting, I might suggest libraries or some open source companies may have Linux opportunities available
--but even there there is like to be a mix of Windows (Microsoft) and Linux (some..): it will be hard to find any commercial company that goes all Linux (servers + desktops)
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Looking for resources in Washington, DC

Postby lizbeth on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks for that! You are incredibly helpful and insightful!
lizbeth
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Other Topics