Isos differences [XFCE - Cinnamon]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KinokoFuhen

Isos differences [XFCE - Cinnamon]

Post by KinokoFuhen »

Hi, I'm running an actually "not-so-fast" laptop (with a Pentium, but with 4Gb Ram though [Asus K70ID]), and I was asking myself if the XFCE-only version was faster than the Cinnamon (and XFCE) version.
Any help ?

Thanks !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Isos differences [XFCE - Cinnamon]

Post by grimdestripador »

Try the benchmark programs inside "System Information" . Also, Try measuring startup time.
In theory, XFCE should have a smaller memory footprint, but with 4GB, I think your fine, but if you only had 1GB of ram, I would definatly suggest XFCE.

As for a rule of thumb, Try both!
KinokoFuhen

Post by KinokoFuhen »

Firstly, thanks.
Secondly, Which version would be the most preferable ? 64 bit or 32 bit ? (Pentium dual core 2.3 Ghz)
Thirdly, thanks again.
And also, Do XFCE and Cinnamon have differents apps ?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

KinokoFuhen wrote:Firstly, thanks.
Secondly, Which version would be the most preferable ? 64 bit or 32 bit ? (Pentium dual core 2.3 Ghz)
Thirdly, thanks again.
And also, Do XFCE and Cinnamon have differents apps ?
Run either 32 or 64bit am running 64bit 3ghz dual core with 4gb of ram myself.
Don't think xfce is necessary for your setup. You could run any flavor with that setup.

I'm running the KDE version which is slightly more ram use 432mb on boot up to desktop.
But find it snappier and smother running than Cinnamon 14 on same system.
And a lot more feature rich and mature apps available on KDE.

You can install just about any app on any desktop manager and runs fine. You can run cinnamon and then install K3b CD/DVD burning software that is mainly a KDE program. Or I can install Brasero which is a gnome program and run in my KDE environment.

Only issues is the installing the program will also pulled down and install specific libraries and files for the specific environment they where designed for. Second issue will come when trying to get all apps to theme the same when they are opened up.
KinokoFuhen

Post by KinokoFuhen »

Thanks, but I'm not a big fan of a KDE environment. I will stick with my cinnamon the time being.
Thanks again !

Return to “Beginner Questions”