assistance creating a Deb File.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

assistance creating a Deb File.

Post by raymerjacque »

I want to backup my .wine folder into a deb file, so that if i install the deb file it will extract .wine automaticly to my home folder, and if i pass it onto friends or anyone else all they need to do is install the deb file and it will automaticly extract the .wine folder into their home folder and overwrite the existing .wine folder.

Can someone please tell me how to do that ? ( turn the .wine folder into a deb file )

keep in mind im relatively new to Linux and have NEVER created a deb file before, so please keep any steps you post noob friendly :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: assistance creating a Deb File.

Post by grimdestripador »

While I have yet to create a .deb file myself. it appears that http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint ... ex.en.html is the officiall building guide. Look for sections 4 and 5. It notes the requires files and scripts to be included. Also be sure to lookup BINARY package.

For Mint specifc instruction, I found the following to work. This process is an example of downloading the new version of nmap, building it, then making a package. But from source.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential dh-make debhelper devscripts -y 
cd ~/Downloads
wget http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-5.00.tar.bz2
tar xf nmap-5.00.tar.bz2
cd ~/Downloads/nmap-5.00
dh_make -s -e user@domain.com -f ../nmap-5.00.tar.bz2
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev flex bison libpcap0.8-dev libpcre3-dev binutils-dev python-all-dev -y
dpkg-buildpackage
Lets build off the following instructions, and describe how a binary package will be different. Which I belive is includes adding something to the post install script file.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

it looks extremely complex ...

is making a deb package my only choice here ? is there no other way to make an installer script that will simply extract and overwrite the .wine folder with one supplied ?
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Here is a less intimidating tutorial on packageing.
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/336
raymerjacque wrote:it looks extremely complex ...

is making a deb package my only choice here ? is there no other way to make an installer script that will simply extract and overwrite the .wine folder with one supplied ?
It can get a bit scary, yes. Your other option would be a simple install script that copies the files into the users home folder.
Not hard.

Return to “Software & Applications”