Blank Virtual Terminals after installing Nvidia GTX 660

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
magicBeast

Blank Virtual Terminals after installing Nvidia GTX 660

Post by magicBeast »

I recently installed an EVGA nvidia GTX 660 to my linux mint 14 pc. It's running with FDE and LVM (after I installed with an updated ubiquity). I installed the nvidia drivers, which are working ok, but when I try to open a virtual terminal with CLT-ALT-FN I just get a blank screen. My Grub boot screen is now in low-resolution, and has obviously been changed (and looks ugly compared to how it was before - would like to fix that as well :-). I've had GOOD look around and found a few people with similar problems. I've tried changing the grub file using these suggestions: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset" and also tried uncommenting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 , but doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? Not really sure what I should be looking for in dmesg, as I'm a linux noob :-(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
magicBeast

Re: Blank Virtual Terminals after installing Nvidia GTX 660

Post by magicBeast »

I managed to fix the initial grub boot screen, back to how it looked when I first installed it, by adding the following lines to grub, and then doing an update-grub:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1680x1050
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Still no joy with the terminals though :-(
magicBeast

Re: Blank Virtual Terminals after installing Nvidia GTX 660

Post by magicBeast »

Never mind - I fixed it with a driver update.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”