What Mint distro can I DL for a 2005 laptop?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisP

What Mint distro can I DL for a 2005 laptop?

Post by ChrisP »

A Toshiba Satellite Pro L-10 with a 1.6GHz Pentium M725, 1GB RAM and Intel 82852 graphics chip, that is.

Without fiddling the kernel to be non-PAE, recent Ubuntu-based distros seem to be off limits. I liked Mint's behaviour when I played with it at earlier times on other machines. How recent a version can I download to suit the lappie's specs, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What Mint distro can I DL for a 2005 laptop?

Post by catweazel »

Probably Mint 13 MATE edition.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

Linux Mint 13 Mate is working perfectly on both my older (2003) computers, a T42 Thinkpad & Dell Dimension 2400. PAE is not needed for Mint 13, & it's a 5 year LTS version, which should be good for the life of the laptop. You can also run the XFCE version, however it's not as full fledged as Mate. If your installed RAM (memory) is less than 1GB, XFCE may be best.

Either way, there's two perfectly good choices for you. No need to run a overly unsecured XP, when Mint gives you two modern choices. You can make transactions, bank, whatever with no worries. ClamTK is a good optional virus scanner & BleachBit is an excellent browser cleaning tool, both available via the Software Manager.

Best of Luck,
Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I had LM 13 Mate running smoothly on a Compaq Presario 2138ea from around 2001, with less than 1GB of memory, no problems with it.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

I have a Compaq V2000 laptop which is also based off of the Intel 82852 chipset. Linux Mint 13 XFCE 32-bit works just fine on this chipset. But keep in mind though that, for the moment, those of us with this particular chipset are stuck with MESA 8.x, since MESA 9.x (which is bundled with Linux Mint 14) seems to break support for 3d hardware acceleration on the Intel 82852/85855.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, many Windows games that ran fine on Windows XP on this same hardware won't run on Linux (via WINE or PlayOnLinux). Even the Linux-native port of the Steam client doesn't work right (graphical glitches on the client, plus the fact that many games won't even run).

Though, for some reason, even under Linux Mint 14 with MESA 9.x, I was still able to run a DVD film and it played just fine... but no 3D or OpenGL-based games.

Return to “Hardware Support”