can't copy files to Windows 7 partition?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jorx

can't copy files to Windows 7 partition?

Post by jorx »

Hey guys!

I've got a samsung laptop that came with windows 7 preinstalled on an Ntfs partition.

I installed linux mint alongside, which runs better and supports my laptop better. (not kidding). I use it for most everything.
However recently I tried to copy some files to my windows partition from linux. When I rebooted into windows- CHDSK came up and needed to scan. After scanning it deleted the files/folders that I had just copied over.

So I can't figure out how to copy files to my windows partition? They copy fine in Linux but when I reboot they're either corrupted or gone if I run CHDSK? Thought linux mint had this sorted.

I'm doing full reboots, no hibernating or sleeping.

cheers,
Jordan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: can't copy files to Windows 7 partition?

Post by caf4926 »

I never had this trouble and it shouldn't happen. Though I have windows on one machine, I never actually use it.
But I do know I can copy files over without any issue.
I'd suggest the solution lies in windows settings...

But I was wondering. If you copy the files to a USB flash drive. Can you then use them when you insert it in windows?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Given that Win7 is not in a hibernated state what are the names of the files you are transferring to Windows? If they contain the following characters that might explain your symptoms since Windows doesn't recognize them when contained in the file name:

Code: Select all

” * / : < > ? \ |
There's a way to prevent you from saving files to ntfs with those characters by adding a mount option ( windows_names ) to fstab if this is the issue.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

” * / : < > ? \ |
I've had problems with copying files with names containing those characters, but it doesn't make chkdsk run; I just got funky errors when trying to access them under windows. The 'windows_names' option sounds nice...

You might try an entry in /etc/fstab.
Line in /etc/fstab:

LABEL=NTFS   /NTFS   ntfs noauto   0 0
(have to mount by hand: '$ sudo mount /NTFS'
Change 'noauto' to 'defaults' to have it mount at boot. Directory /NTFS created first and the user owns it. Linux partition label is 'NTFS'.)

You might need to install 'ntfs-3g'.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If it does turn out to be the characters problem then I would suggest the full template for an NTFS partition:

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
*** Run the following command to get the correct UUID number for your partition:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
*** Create the mount point. In this example:

sudo mkdir /media/WinD
*** If you have the partition mounted manually unmount it.

*** Run the following command to test for syntax errors and if there are none mount the partition:

sudo mount -a
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
jorx

Post by jorx »

Fantastic advice guys, really appreciate it.

Transferring via intermediary jump drive works fine- so it's definitely mint not writing to the ntfs partition as windows 7 expects.
I will try adding those flags!
I actually realize now that I had added my windows partition to fstab following a how-to- (a while back) and it's only after then that I've had issues copying to it. Will try those flags that you guys suggest!

thank you so much for your time!!
cheers,
Jordan
jorx

Post by jorx »

Ok- I haven't tested it in Windows yet, but now since I changed the line, I'm unable to open up Eclipse or Aptana (java IDEs) which were using projects on my windows filesystem. They actually can't read or write to the directory.
Yet I've tested that I can copy files to my windows partition no problem using any folder view in linux mint.

Here's the old and the new line I'm using to mount windows automatically;

# is the old one commented out
#UUID=9E6EB13D6EB10F51 /media/Windows ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other 0 0
UUID=9E6EB13D6EB10F51 /media/Windows ntfs defaults,rw,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0

I've added 'rw' to it- only after studying to realize that rw is included with "defaults". So I don't know what flags to adjust. hmmm
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just to be clear, you can now copy files to the Win7 partition:
Yet I've tested that I can copy files to my windows partition no problem using any folder view in linux mint.
This issue now is that your IDE's can't see or use the partition?

Please post the output of these commands:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

mount

Return to “Beginner Questions”