Bleachbit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duncan222

Bleachbit

Post by duncan222 »

Ran Bleachbit for the first time and it took 90 minutes to complete. Is this usual ?
Final report as follows,

Disk space recovered: 91.1MB
Files deleted: 467
Special operations: 25
Errors: 18553

Also does anyone know what "Special operations" are ? and will it have deleted the errors or just flagged them up ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Bleachbit

Post by viking777 »

Sounds like you didn't run it as root (sudo). Of course running it that way can be dangerous, it is just a choice you have to make, a risk you have to balance. For my part I run it as root all the time, but I choose carefully what I let it do.
duncan222

Post by duncan222 »

Yes you are correct I did not run it as root as I was unsure what the final outcome would be and did not want to take any risks as my system runs fine.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I use Bleachbit all the time, probably because I am too lazy to look through all the file locations I might want cleaned, and to use a script to do so..
http://bleachbit.blogspot.ca/
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/download/linux
--they change the interface (program) style every so often, worth checking the latest for any news..
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

90 minutes probably means that you "wiped" free disk space; without that, it normally takes a few seconds, su or not.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
nomko

Post by nomko »

Not only that wpiping free space consumes time, it also depends on your system. The older, the slower, the lesser memory, the longer it takes. But usually it shouldn't take more than 5 - 10 minutes the first time when you run it as root on a fast system. After that it's a matter of a few seconds.

Return to “Beginner Questions”