How to dual linux mint (Debain) with pre-installed windows 8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JaZZyCooL

How to dual linux mint (Debain) with pre-installed windows 8

Post by JaZZyCooL »

hey guys,
I am thinking of installing linux mint debian version on my pre-installed windows 8 laptop, but unable to figure out how to do so, is there any way I can install debian version of Linux mint on my windows 8. Also last time when I tried to install linux mint 14 (XFCE) it installed successfully but when I used (boot-repair) it messed up with my sda because I wanted to load linux mint 14 through windows 8 and not windows 8 through Linux mint. Also I wanted that both OS should load under UEFI so that I don't have to switch every time between "Legacy mode and UEFI mode". I have heard about rEFind but never used it can anyone tell me about how to use that to solve my problem or any other solution for this because I searched a lot on the web but unable to firgure out the solution as they are all for (non-preinstalled windows 8).

Your help is highly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How to dual linux mint (Debain) with pre-installed windo

Post by viking777 »

This comes from the LMDE release notes:
No EFI/GPT support

Linux Mint Debian requires BIOS and a traditional partitioning scheme.
So you have less chance of making this work than you had of making Mint 14 work. Blame Uefi - I do, or else switch it off permanently.
JaZZyCooL

Post by JaZZyCooL »

Oh! I hate UEFI but on the other hand I need it too, anyway I have to stay with 14 for further installation. Thanks for your help, it is highly appreciated.
salh

Post by salh »

ubuntu worked but mint doesnt :P

Return to “Installation & Boot”