What is special about the Mint Clipboard

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whs

What is special about the Mint Clipboard

Post by whs »

I am pretty new to Mint and Linux. I am currently experimenting with Ubuntu, Zorin, Mint Cinnamon and Mint Mate (which I really like). I installed all those distros (and Windows8) in virtual using VMware Player on a Windows 7 host.

For all virtual installations I also install the VMware tools. Those tools allow communication between the host system and the guest system - e.g. copy a file in the host and paste it into the guest, or drag and drop from the host to the guest (and that works vice versa too).

This works perfectly well with all of the above guest systems EXCEPT with Mint - both Cinnamon and Mate. In Mint I can drag and drop files across the host/guest boundary (which proves that the VMware tools work) but I cannot share the clipboard for copy/paste. The copy/paste within Mint does work correctly.

I wonder whether this is a bug in the Mint implementation or whether there is a specific reason for this restriction. I would appreciate input from members that have insight into this area of Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What is special about the Mint Clipboard

Post by grimdestripador »

Install your vmware or virtualbox tools into the GUEST (linux mint)
whs

Post by whs »

grimdestripador wrote:Install your vmware or virtualbox tools into the GUEST (linux mint)
The tools are installed inside Mint - else the drag/drop would not work. I have done the tools installation into guest systems many times and know that the installation is correct. The tools folders are in bin and usr/bin and in the startups.
whs

Post by whs »

It is getting even better. I just discovered that the shared clipboard works with a Mint guest when you want to copy/paste URLs from browsers across system boundaries - both ways, host to guest and guest to host. And you need not even paste into a browser, pasting into a document file (e.g. Pluma) works also.

The same is true when you copy text from text documents. Now why would that work and copy/paste of a picture or a folder does not work.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

whs wrote:It is getting even better. I just discovered that the shared clipboard works with a Mint guest when you want to copy/paste URLs from browsers across system boundaries - both ways, host to guest and guest to host. And you need not even paste into a browser, pasting into a document file (e.g. Pluma) works also.

The same is true when you copy text from text documents. Now why would that work and copy/paste of a picture or a folder does not work.
Interesting. I discovered the same phenomenon when I connect to Linux Mint Mate from a Windows 7 guest using remote desktop. And again the same happened when I used synergy to share my mouse/keyboard between host and guest. By the way, I am running a Xen hypervisor with Linux Mint as my main OS or dom0 (not Windows with VMware or VirtualBox). I already thought that this would be normal behavior.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
whs

Post by whs »

I think this clipboard behavior is specific to Mint. I do not have this problem with other distros or Windows in VMware.

I now use the drag/drop function for files and folders. At least that works across the host/guest boundary.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

I have never experianced this, and I VM. But i also have only used to cinnamon editions.
whs

Post by whs »

grimdestripador wrote:I have never experianced this, and I VM. But i also have only used to cinnamon editions.
Interesting. I should try cinnamon one day. I looked at it a while ago (without the VMware tools) but thought that is was 'simpler' than Mate. There was less settings I could make - or maybe I just did not find them.
crazyi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyi »

whs wrote:
grimdestripador wrote:I have never experianced this, and I VM. But i also have only used to cinnamon editions.
Interesting. I should try cinnamon one day. I looked at it a while ago (without the VMware tools) but thought that is was 'simpler' than Mate. There was less settings I could make - or maybe I just did not find them.
Hi whs,
Have you ever solved this problem? I met the same issue as you, in LM17, copy file works fine with Cinnamon in both sides, but with Mate, I can only copy/paste the file from vm to my host win7. However, the drag/drop for files and folders are perfect.

Return to “Other topics”