Add printer/ connect to WORKGROUP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Add printer/ connect to WORKGROUP

Postby juaquin on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:05 am

I have been trying to figure out how to add a printer for a few hours now, and I just can't wrap my head around it. I am completely new to Linux, and have Mint 14 Cinnamon installed; I'm a convert from Windows 7. On this same laptop, when it was running Windows 7, I could easily print remotely via the Homegroup function (the printer was shared--my desktop has Windows 7).

When I try to add a printer via preferences: no printers available > add new printer > network > FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.

When I tried to connect to the network through Files, and click on Admin-PC (my desktop), it asked for a password (wouldn't connect with any combination). I changed the settings on my desktop (running Windows 7) and now I can access folders, one of which is "print$", but does this help me in any way?

I don't know what Samba/CUPS are or how to use them; I am completely new to this and used to Windows. I like Linux, and right now my first priority is to set up basic functionality so that I can get to know the system better. I understand how to use some functions in the Terminal. But for now, basic instructions in "plain English" are appreciated.

Thanks! ~Juaquin

Also, I'm open to any tips or tricks for a first-time Linux user :)
juaquin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Add printer/ connect to WORKGROUP

Postby altair4 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:57 am

The firewallD error is a bug so run the following command instead:
Code: Select all
system-config-printer
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby juaquin on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:49 pm

I've tried that, but I don't know how to add a printer this way? What do all the options mean/do?
juaquin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:31 am

See how far this HowTo get you: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28397
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby EzPc on Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 pm

I don't know if you solved this problem but since there is no answer listed and having the same problem and finding my solution I thought it might help someone to post it here.

Issue:
Print from my ThinkPad to a Cisco WPS54GU2 print server hosting a Samsung CLP-325 Printer over my home network

I found the answer on the CUPS help page. Please try the following:

1. Find out the IP address of your printer server
2. Open your browser to http://localhost:631/help/network.html
3. Scroll down to the section labled Common Network Printer URIs
4. In Table 1 find the reference for Netgear WGPS606
5. Using either printer manager method listed above edit the properties
Netgear WGPS606
lpd://address/L1
lpd://address/L2

In my case the WPS54GU2 also has 2 ports and my printer is tied to it via USB which is L2. L1 is the parallel port
EzPc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rloftus on Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 pm

The easiest solution to your problem is to connect your printer directly to your router using a Cat-5 cable rather than routing the print signal through the Windows machine.

You'll have to reinstall the printer on your Windows machine that way but it's a very easy process, and Linux Mint will then be able to auto-detect the printer for you without needing any additional drivers.
rloftus
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions