Is it possible to do an inplace upgrade?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bomyne
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to do an inplace upgrade?

Post by bomyne »

My computer is currently running Linux Mint 13. When 15 comes out, I'd like to upgrade to Linux Mint 15. With other operating systems (Such as Windows), it is possible to upgrade but keep all your personal files and settings intact. Is this possible with Linux Mint? Do I just run the installer from the Live DVD like I did the first time? Or is there another way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Is it possible to do an inplace upgrade?

Post by DataMan »

If you are now storing your personal files on /home and it is in a separate partition, one approach to consider is:

1. Go ahead and do a fresh install of Mint 15 with it's /home on a separate partition.
2. Once your new install has stabilized (as in updates made and additional apps built), then in the new /home :
a. Make backup copies of the setting folders you want to inherit from your Mint 13 settings.
b. Mount your old /home
c. Using a filemanager of choice (i.e. a 2 pane window manager), drag your setting folders from your old Mint /home to the new /home
d. Test your apps in the new install to make sure that you haven't created problems using the old version of the settings. If so remove the folders/files copied from the old installation and rename your backup copies to the correct name.
e. Drag your data files over to the desired location in the new home.

I do this on a regular basis as I usually have 3-5 flavors of Lx installed at any one point. The above has really saved a lot of aggrevation and work especially when it comes to T-Bird (5 active e-mail accounts using different mail servers) and FF.

Note : The above could be used with embedded /home also - in that case, you will need to mount the partition where your old Mint resides and copy the files/folders as detailed above.

Hope this helps - Good Luck,

-DataMan
bomyne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bomyne »

That seems easy enough.

What about installed packages? Is there a way to backup a list of installed packages and reinstall them after the "upgrade"? (With the exception of packages that have been discontinued or are system critical)
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

What about installed packages? Is there a way to backup a list of installed packages and reinstall them after the "upgrade"?
That's what I do. I have a master list of apps that I use/need that are not installed by default. On the new installations I go into synaptic and build the apps from there. This way, you're getting the current stable release version that the repositories are supporting.

-DataMan
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

DataMan wrote:
What about installed packages? Is there a way to backup a list of installed packages and reinstall them after the "upgrade"?
That's what I do. I have a master list of apps that I use/need that are not installed by default. On the new installations I go into synaptic and build the apps from there. This way, you're getting the current stable release version that the repositories are supporting.

-DataMan
This means you have to install the operating system, and then you have to go back and install each app required.

Download BOOSTER from https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/booster/ deb or http://irajacic.com/downloads/ for tar.tg file ( you dont need to install this program as it is "portable"

You need to fill the application list with the required programs. To do so, click the Get Latest From The Internet button; this will fill in the left pane with all of the applications from which you can select. Next, search through the list of applications and add the ones you want to the Chosen applications pane by following these steps:

Locate the app either by searching the list
or by typing the name search box in the left pane and press the search buton.
Click the right-pointing arrow to add the app.
Continue with that process until all of the applications are added (Figure D).
Click the Generate And Export Script button. You will be asked to name your script — give that script a name like booster_install and locate it in your home directory. (Booster will append the .sh extension at the end of the file name.)

Once you've installed your new system run the booster.sh file answer the questions and it'll install all your progs in one go.

So basicaly make a list of you progs such as -
guake
dropbox
virtualbox
zim
catfish
shutter
ssvnc
geany-plugin-spellcheck
geany
openshot
gtk-recordmydesktop
bleachbit
cryptkeeper
unetbootin
keepass2
calibre
radiotray
audacious
kazam
grsync
libreoffice-l10n-en-gb
myspell-en-gb
libavformat-extra-53

then use that list with booster.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Neat :D

Something new. I wasn't aware of this. Sounds promising.

-DataMan

Return to “Installation & Boot”