Hi

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamvaru

Hi

Post by jamvaru »

forgot to introduce myself
jamvaru is my 'altername' ... i use it because it is easy, it is unique, and it offers a measure of anonymity
lately I have been tossing out the anonymity, generally speaking, saying I AM a real person named James Van Rude
the last name is always a show stopper, so it is nice to leave it off; it is pronounced rood-ee; the Van is just a middle name, nothing historic about it; both grandfathers fought for US in wwII; my father's father was German
jamvaru is a shortening of my name using the first 2 letters of each name, with the m thrown in to make it unique, as some joker is out there calling himself javaru already; plus the stupid java thing, with coffee and programming
jamvaru is a bit more exotic sounding, maybe even alien, lol
so,
I like mint; I'm using cinnamon 13 now
it is nice... really nice; i like the darker menu with the icons on the left; i like the way it opens and scrolls/browses, the flow of it; i am sold;
mate is fine, too
im not real keen on kde, though
xfce is kinda bleh, though i suppose it is great if you want more customization, rather than the usual/same old thing

I hope to be a programmer and do some code, someday, but right now I am more interested in social computing; i like wikia; facebook is ok; twitter is meh; tumblr is fine/nice ... i'm still getting into it
i have a few videos on youtube regarding AGMOD; search agmod on facebook, should work
i think i might be a bit of a designer, to contribute ideas at least
i'm using several partitions for linux testing;;; lemme see... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 ... 8 i think, yeah ... i still use one part for wXP .. i enjoy the occasional game; haven't tried wine yet
i have a dedicated debian partition, stable, just because it is revered and i have used it off and on for long time... almost 20 years now? wow 18 years i think, since my first linux, i believe it was corel linux, what did they call that... hmm; it was a book with linux inside on a disc, lol; maybe it was from the library, i don't recall; it was a strange time
now i have to look it up;;; what was the corel linux called, lol ... open linux, i think; caldera, not corel
it was probably 1995, i think, maybe 96 or 97 at the latest, cause i lost my shit and became homeless after that, lol

10 years later, make it 15, i come back home to Kansas City, my mom and uncle agree to support me with rent, mom with the cash, uncle with the room; and I'm going to school to be a lawyer to fight GMO

GMO is the biggest catastrophe since the FLOOD... who knows how many people it kills, it is too devious to determine the exact figure

but anyway, thats today...

i have a early american lit class i am enjoying, and a speech class that hasn't really got going yet, but should be fun; that finishes the A.A. general transfer degree; then on to paralegal, and eventually pre-law, i guess
someday... there will be sun

lol
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed parts for not confirming to forum rules.
The-Wizard

Re: Hi

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi James, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! Linux Mint is also on Tumblr, here http://linuxmint.tumblr.com/.

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

thanks, I'm having fun playing with MATE right now

began to worry when my mouse started acting jumpy, disabled a few addons; i think it was a thumnail image previewer, though i haven't narrowed it down all the way

thought i broke deluge, but i had unchecked 'classic' mode and didn't know how to do it in 'not classic', lol; rechecked classic (after uninstalling and installing a couple of times, lol)

had a problem with webcam in skype; installed every darn webcam related software in synaptic; reinstalled skype; moved webcam to new port; it works great; not going to worry about what the big deal was, ;]

still thinking it would make sense to offer cd versions of LM 13 ... i don't get why not, except that you might consider that computers without a dvd player probably aren't candidates for LM 13

however, wasting a dvd on an 800 mb image is just silly; i guess a rw would be ok; i use unetbootin

im working on a Linux Mint Christmas DVD Project on facebook (gave up facebook, except for that, now)

trying to get the steam to jump into the job market again... bleh...

have a great day ;]
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Welcome
I use the KDE 13 version. And love it
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

yaay, I made Level 2!
;]
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

yaay!

Level 3!

;]

having fun posting here and reading stuff; learning alot
for example, you can use LM as a portable operating system!
because it has a super large kernel
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

I have to say

i am disappointed in the performance of the forum; there is a negative attitude prevalent
i think some of it comes from simply the stress of contributing to a free project, with the pressures of real life
i think some of it comes from a sense of superiority from being the #1 distribution

whatever the reason, please remember to put the people first; be nice, be encouraging, be positive; re-read your posts before posting, or after, to see how nice you really are

it is a major turn off to get either NO response to a question or to get a negative response

we all want linux to succeed; let's make the newbie feel as welcome as we possibly can

thank you
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry to read you had a negative experience. Some posts go unanswered and that is of course not what anybody wants. Some people would really help themselves by reading the forum rules first, especially section II as that gives helpful tips on finding and getting help. Make it easy for others to help you and all that :wink: Some questions might have been missed as there are a lot of posts each day, and so you are not deliberately being given the silence treatment or anything. Refer to my previous point; use the bump topic link after 48 hours to give an unanswered post renewed attention. And yes sometimes there might just not be anybody currently visiting the forums that knows what you could do and it may take a little longer, or you need to consider adding some more information or detail to your post.

The attitude on the forums is formed by us all as a community of users. So you are part of that and can help steer it to a more positive attitude if you feel that is currently lacking. Contribute positivity :D There are a lot of awesome people here but yes people are people and like with other things in life we aren't always objective and that might turn to "distro bashing" or other forms of negativity.

What are your ideas to make newbies feel more welcome?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jamvaru wrote:it is a major turn off to get either NO response to a question
I don't respond to posts that contain a life history.

It takes far too much brain power at my age to get at the technical details if they are buried inside a life history, "35 years ago I bought my first computer... I retired as an engineer 5 years ago... then my oldest son said... I got this to work 10 years ago...". Quite often there are very long posts full of irrelevant details and not one piece of information that is useful to solving the problem quickly. Some posts go on and on but only say "it doesn't work", and despite best efforts to squeeze blood out of a rock, you can't get the poster to say anything other than "it doesn't work" in 15 different ways. Then there are the posts that ask for the address and phone number of a car wrecker in the poster's local area; like we know where he/she lives, and like it's relevant to ask about car wreckers merely because the person knows another person who knows another person who lives on the other side of the planet and once put Linux Mint on a USB drive but never installed it.

It would be helpful if posters actually read the forum guidelines on how to get help, but they don't.
i think some of it comes from simply the stress of contributing to a free project, with the pressures of real life
i think some of it comes from a sense of superiority from being the #1 distribution
The first point I agree with, and I for one should be more aware of it and put frustration in check. On the second point, I certainly don't see hubris here, so I think that one is way off the mark.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

lol, great responses, thank you

hubris hurts because it is an elevation of our perceptions above what is real
sure, we can take pride in our work; everybody is happy with mint, more or less
it is like when the president campaigns on one thing and does another once elected
to your mind, maybe things just come up that seem more important, like going to the opera, or whatever
to those who are counting on you it looks like betrayal... but, lets just say that pride can be a bad thing

Good news: I finally installed Cinnamon, and I'm very pleased with it. It is doing well right out of the box. Even the window edge grabber is better than what i was using. I had done some odd things to my previous installation, lm 14 MATE, and wanted a fresh install and to try out Cinnamon. I had tried it before, when it was less mature. So, it is good. I'm well pleased at this point. Installed the video driver and things are working well. Updating. Oh, crap, the '3d' browser just freaked me out. That will take some getting used to, but not too bad. Interesting.

Ok, thanks. And stay positive.

(I was thinking, while it was installing, that I could use my MATE install and just 'test' this one out, but now I have to rethink that and put the Cinnamon first... oh, well, just another round of customization. I like starting over from scratch. Things like FEBE make it easy. But I find I prefer to just do it all over again, making new choices as I go. Good job on Cinnamon and mint 14.1)
jamvaru

LM14.1Cinnamon --> Dell Latitude d430

Post by jamvaru »

I just installed LM 14.1 Cinnamon on my new (old) dell Latitude d430 (ssd)

it is superduper!

I had a moment there when i was trying to do a dualboot with wxp, cause it has a key on the bottom, lol; then i said confused!?!

just pure linux, tyvm
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

so, i've decided to quit using linux mint, for a variety of reasons
mainly, it is kinda slow, compared to others
can't adjust window colors, borders, etc
can't click in the address bar in firefox
kinda lame attitude of developers
meh
goodbye
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

how do i delete my account here?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Account deactivated by user request. Topic locked.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”