Installation of Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit from USB <SOLVED>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Haresh

Installation of Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit from USB <SOLVED>

Post by Haresh »

I am trying to run Linux Mint from my USB flash drive (without installation).
I have an HP G56 running Windows 7 professional 64-bit.

I downloaded "Linux Mint 14 Nadia - Cinnamon (64-bit)".
I verified the ISO file using "WinMD5" it says the MD5 check sum value was a match.
Using "7-zip" I extracted the ISO file to a 4GB USB flash drive (which I reformatted with the FAT32 file system).

I restart my computer, press ESC to enter start up menu, press F9 to enter boot device options, select my USB flash drive from the list.
I get a message saying: “Remove disks or other media …. Press any key to restart
There are no other devices plugged in (I unplugged my mouse). There is no Disc in the internal DVD drive. I have tried two USB drives I get the same error message.
What am I doing wrong?

I recently did a clean install of windows 7 using the above method (obviously different ISO file) and it worked fine. The hard disk is partitioned as follows: System reserved 100MB. C Drive 120.36 GB, D Drive 112.42 GB. D Drive partition created to for personal files.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PussyCat

Re: Installation of Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit from USB

Post by PussyCat »

Using "7-zip" I extracted the ISO file to a 4GB USB flash drive (which I reformatted with the FAT32 file system).
That's not the way forward. You need to use UneBootin (easily found through Google). Download and run.

Click on "Diskimage" and use the browse [...] button to point it at your iso. Make sure that the target (Type and Drive) are correct (they usually are if you've only got one flash drive present), press OK then wait whilst it creates a bootable usb - about 5min. Then reboot and enjoy...

Return to “Installation & Boot”