KWin - Desktop effects - Not working - Optimus? [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

KWin - Desktop effects - Not working - Optimus? [SOLVED]

Post by anandrkris »

Hi,

None of the Kwin desktop effects are working, i have a Nvidia Optimus setup. So i presume the primary Intel chip wil act as video card and Nvidia GPU is not required for KWin.

I get this obtuse message when I enable Desktop Effects. Any help to get desktop effects wotking will be sincerely appreciated. I have been wanting to get desktop cube animation since i came to know of it as i have 4 virtual desktops. I tried Compiz and is not working as well.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx co
System:    Host: AnandLaptop Kernel: 3.8.0-030800-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: KDE 4.10.1 (Qt 4.8.2) Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Dell product: Inspiron N5110
           Mobo: Dell model: 0FXK2Y version: A06 Bios: Dell version: A06 date: 05/26/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2410M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9179 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 2301.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 540M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-030800-generic
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 09:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 38:59:f9:07:57:73
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 05:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 18:03:73:69:b2:d0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (18.9% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD5000BPVT 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 7.3G used: 7.0G (100%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 268M used: 54M (21%) fs: ext4 
           ID: /home size: 148G used: 41G (29%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 68.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 209 Uptime: 1:26 Memory: 1012.9/3943.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: KWin - Desktop effects - Not working

Post by zerozero »

was the same happening with the default 3.2 kernel and bumblebee was working then? only broke when you upgraded to 3.8?
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

The issue has been there from the beginning. Yes, bumblebee is working fine. I can optirun my supertuxkart and TF2. :)
I had to tweak nvidia-current conftest.sh to get kernl 3.8 working with bumblebee.

Now am facing a bigger issue - stuck in a login loop (kdm). Booted to Windows to post this. Even recovery mode is not working. :( :(
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

both issues might be related

this part here from the first post shows that there's no graphics drivers at all working in that system; if bumblebee was working properly it should be similar to

GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
(of course different glx and mesa versions possibly)
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Oops. Thanks for pointing it. I was fiddling with KDE Desktop settings and probably changed something. Can you please let me know how to revert to default settings in KDE?
anandrkris

Re: KDM Stuck at Login / KWin - Desktop effects - Not workin

Post by anandrkris »

I tried various things for few hours (including trying to install cinnamon and failed because of unmet dependencies )and finally removed the .kde folder under my home to clear all profile settings. Am happy one way - can start afresh and create a proper desktop with the experience of past few months. My original question is still unanswered and would appreciate any assitsannce.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Just a newbie learning here. But doesn't this imply driver being used doesn't support 3d rendering therefore Compiz and KDE effects would not work.

As mine shows

LX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
And KDE effects are all working great using the open default driver and older kernel. And using cube mouse scroll to change workspaces.

And definitely sounds like a driver issue vs. kernel as you are using 3.8 which would be too bleeding edge for me to feel stable with. Curious as is there some compelling reason to go bleeding edge on kernel? As always willing to learn new info.

And before pushing distro to something new I always make a backup of partition so I can roll back to working in 15mins.
Saves a lot of Headaches and wasted time & effort.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

anandrkris wrote:My original question is still unanswered and would appreciate any assitsannce.
this and this (see the latest comments) leads me to believe it's a bumblebee issue

orbmiser: although you are using the open-source drivers the important part is
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
so, yes, you have 3D acceleration which enables you to run for example the full experience in cinnamon or have nice effects in kde
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

orbmiser: although you are using the open-source drivers the important part is
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
so, yes, you have 3D acceleration which enables you to run for example the full experience in cinnamon or have nice effects in kde[/quote]

Yep I knew that was pointing out that his wasn't showing that information therefore effects were not possible without rendering = yes.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thanks guys for the replies. I am a no0b myself but being constantly on forums has helped me a bit in understanding and being aware of new issues. It is not the bumblebee 3.1 issue for sure. In fact, I spotted it a few weeks ago and pointed for other users here.

Now coming to direct rendering issue - In case of Optimus setup , secondary GPU does the OpenGL rendering and is available via optirun or only through optirun is what i suspect the issue to be. Does the primary intel card does handle rendering?
I thought bumblebee is a switch and toggles Intel between Nvidia based on whether it is run normally or through optirun. And it does not make sense to start kdesession and kwin with optirun. It si not optimal setup. I am away from my machine now but if i 'optirun inxi -Gx' rendering will show as Yes? I guess so! I will come back with more analysis.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/126795/e ... -bumblebee

If i remember correctly, in my machine glxgears, glxspheres and supertuxkart work only with optirun.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thanks guys for the replies. I am a no0b myself but being constantly on forums has helped me a bit in understanding and being aware of new issues. It is not the bumblebee 3.1 issue for sure. In fact, I spotted it a few weeks ago and pointed for other users here.

Now coming to direct rendering issue - In case of Optimus setup , secondary GPU does the OpenGL rendering and is available through optirun or only through optirun is what i suspect the issue to be. Does the primary intel card does handle rendering as well? I thought bumblebee is a switch and toggles Intel between Nvidia based on whether it is run normally or through optirun. And it does not make sense to start kdesession and kwin with optirun. It si not optimal setup. I am away from my machine now but if i 'optirun inxi -Gx' rendering will show as Yes? I guess so! I will come back with more analysis.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/126795/e ... -bumblebee - Another user who has reported similar issue.

If i remember correctly, in my machine glxgears, glxspheres and supertuxkart work only with optirun.
anandrkris

Re: KWin - Desktop effects - Not working - Optimus?

Post by anandrkris »

My assumption turned out to be true. With optirun GLX renderer is enabled!

anand@AnandLaptop ~ $ [b]optirun[/b] inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
[b]           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 525M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.84 Direct Rendering: Yes
[/b]anand@AnandLaptop ~ $ inxi -Gx
[b]           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
[/b]
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thanks for the reply - But I have no problems with using bumblebee on Nvidia card but with integrated Intel card, perhaps bumblebee messed up Intel driver.
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu ... issues/223 - Can't use Intel card and nVidia card at the same time
I have un-installed bumblebee now but still Intel card is not working. Tried the below, still no success. :(

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
In synaptic even tried reinstalled xserver-xorg-video-intel, no use.
I read elsewhere in forum comment that MESA 9.x has an issue and suggested downgrading to MESA 8.0.4. Not sure, if I should do that? Any help to nail down the issue will be appreciated.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/126795/e ... -bumblebee - Another user with same issue.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

It is working. :-)

anand@AnandLaptop ~ $ inxi -Gx
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
anand@AnandLaptop ~ $ optirun inxi -Gx
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 525M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.84 Direct Rendering: Yes
anand@AnandLaptop ~ $ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.617 FPS
299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.776 FPS
299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.776 FPS
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 2139 requests (2139 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
anand@AnandLaptop ~ $ optirun glxgears
3093 frames in 5.0 seconds = 618.529 FPS
3238 frames in 5.0 seconds = 647.549 FPS
3234 frames in 5.0 seconds = 646.796 FPS
[VGL] ERROR: in readback--
[VGL]    246: Window has been deleted by window manager

Return to “Software & Applications”