Sound only comes through headphones not speakers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
voodoodoc2

Sound only comes through headphones not speakers

Post by voodoodoc2 »

I have a Thinkpad W530 and a strange sound problem. Sound works fine through headphone jack, but will not come out of the speakers. I think it used to when I first setup Linux Mint (14) but not sure what could have caused this. Anyone heard of such a thing before?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Sound only comes through headphones not speakers

Post by mank_in »

run in terminal :

Code: Select all

alsamixer
If you see PCM or front with MM (mute ) , unmute with m keys.
voodoodoc2

Post by voodoodoc2 »

mank_in wrote:run in terminal :

Code: Select all

alsamixer
If you see PCM or front with MM (mute ) , unmute with m keys.
Yeah, that's the first thing I tried. Interestingly enough, when I plug or unpug the headphone alsamixer changes and recognizes what is going on, but nothing is muted and volume levels are up.
arfonzo

Post by arfonzo »

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. The thing is I had sound during the OS installation process, and I have a small sound when Mint is starting up. After that, as you said, sound only via the headphones.

Any solution?
cgrosso

Post by cgrosso »

arfonzo wrote:Hi, I have exactly the same problem. The thing is I had sound during the OS installation process, and I have a small sound when Mint is starting up. After that, as you said, sound only via the headphones.

Any solution?
Hi,

I've exactly the same problem here... w530 without speaker sound (with headphones works perfectly).
Just a warning to all comunity, I've tried to install realtek HD audio driver and its simply blown up all the sound drivers, driving me to fresh reinstall all the system again...

Does anyone find a solution\workaround for this?

Thanks
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Did you check and make sure that the "connector" in your sound settings output tab is set to speakers and the hardware tab is set to analog duplex?
cgrosso

Post by cgrosso »

yap, everything checked...
Strange thing is when mint boots, it plays the startup sounds by the speakers, but after i login they be muted (and the volume isn't muted, checked in volume control and alsamixer...) and the only playback sound is by the headphones channel...

It looks like a conflict... i've checked the logs but i can't figure out the problem...
h5oj

Post by h5oj »

I have a similar problem with Mint 14 on a T430S but it seems like disabling the auto-mute "feature" in alsamixer may solve the problem.
kurtschoen

Post by kurtschoen »

Try this:

1. Go to Software Manager and install the GNOME ALSA Mixer, or install from the Terminal
2. Go to this link:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audi ... /+packages

- Click on the Quantal package
- Click on the .deb package
- Click on "Save File"
- When the "Downloads" box pops up, click on the new download and then click on "Install"
- Restart computer and then test it out. You should be able to close computer lid, suspend, and then hear sound from the speakers when resuming.

Return to “Hardware Support”