Grub instead of Grub 2 on install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drognib

Grub instead of Grub 2 on install?

Post by drognib »

I've just downloaded 32-bit Mint 14.1 mate version, mainly for the purpose of trying to get skype to work. It's disconcerting, however, to see that Mint uses Grub 2, which in my opinion is an overly complicated abomination. I just tried Ubuntu 12.04.2 and it made my other two OSes, Mageia 1 and Mageia 2, unbootable. Is it possible to make choices during the install process (unlike Ubuntu)? Is it possible to choose Grub instead of Grub 2? Is it possible to configure the bootloader before it's installed, like Mageia does and Ubuntu doesn't, by for instance letting me decide where to put it (not the mbr, please)? I don't want Grub 2 on my system. Any help and/or insights will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Grub instead of Grub 2 on install?

Post by wayne128 »

drognib wrote:I've just downloaded 32-bit Mint 14.1 mate version, mainly for the purpose of trying to get skype to work. It's disconcerting, however, to see that Mint uses Grub 2, which in my opinion is an overly complicated abomination. I just tried Ubuntu 12.04.2 and it made my other two OSes, Mageia 1 and Mageia 2, unbootable. Is it possible to make choices during the install process (unlike Ubuntu)? Is it possible to choose Grub instead of Grub 2? Is it possible to configure the bootloader before it's installed, like Mageia does and Ubuntu doesn't, by for instance letting me decide where to put it (not the mbr, please)? I don't want Grub 2 on my system. Any help and/or insights will be appreciated.

No, in Mint 14, the default boot loader is grub2.00.
There is no selection on the installer for switching to grub legacy.

Actually for your case, you can continue to use grub legacy which was installed by Mageia, all you need to do is:
When installer is at the point of specifying root partition (say /dev/sdaX), you choose that, then at the same page, at bottom of the screen, choose the installer to install boot loader to your root partition ( which is /dev/sdaX , the same as your earlier choice on /) then, the installer will proceed and would NOT meddle with your MBR.

Upon reboot, your mageia would still boot from the grub legacy.

Then, all you need to do is chainload into your /dev/sdaX root partition with these in your /boot/grub/menu.lst

title sdaX mint 14
root (hd0,n) # replace n by X-1, where X is your partition number chosen earlier
chainloader +1

Actually this is quite simple.

However, if you insist on ' I MUST not see any grub2 in Linux OS', then, what you do is, after installation, run the Linux OS, uninstall grub2 and install grub legacy, then add in your menu.lst
DataMan

Re: Grub instead of Grub 2 on install?

Post by DataMan »

-or-

Take the contents of your legacy GRUB from Mageia and copy to a new dedicated GRUB partition. Re-point the mbr to this partition and use this. As was mentioned above, for future installs make sure that the GRUB installation is inserted into the same partition as "/". Modify the menu.lst in your new dedicated GRUB legacy partition to now include the new ops. Will work as long as you are dealing with stage 1 in your new ops.

Been there...done that.... :lol:

-DataMan

Return to “Installation & Boot”