Installing Plasma with Cinammon installed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miggoycor

Installing Plasma with Cinammon installed

Post by miggoycor »

I am currently using cinnamon, but I want to try KDE, but I do not want redundant software installed. So my question is how do you install the kde plasma desktop and widgets without installing the redundant software?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Installing Plasma with Cinammon installed

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep given up on installing multiple DE's as they always seem to conflict with each other.
And many times don't get the full functionality or features.

So use Redo Backup http://redobackup.org/ and backup my linux partitions to a external usb.
That way can do a fresh install of whatever flavor desktop. And only takes me 10mins to restore back to what I was using before.

Have many distro's setup with installed programs and desktop tweaked to my preference than back that up to external usb.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Works like a charm. I installed in MInt 14: Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and even Bodhi. No problem.
danielfnj96

Post by danielfnj96 »

Well what i would do if i were you is resize your current linux mint partition to be smaller and leave the extra space unallocated (i'd open a good 20gb for kde) and install linux mint kde alongside cinnamon so if you dont like it you just delete the partition and do what you want with it afterwards and then also if you decide kde is better you can delete the cinnamon partition or just install it alongside cinnamon.
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

Well I started with Mint 14 Nadia (KDE) fresh install.

I used synaptic to install all components of Mate Cinnamon. No conflicts, although each
desktop menu will contain items relating to both desktops... which can be edited to
suit. A full KDE and Cinnamon desktop is 5.6G on my / partition so just make sure
you have enough space.

Return to “Software & Applications”