[SOLVED] How to Add Search Engines to Firefox?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] How to Add Search Engines to Firefox?

Postby benali72 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm

How do I add additional search engines to the drop-down list box in the upper righthand corner of Firefox?

I clicked on the drop-down list box, selected "Manage Search Engines", then clicked on "Get More Search Engines..." in the Manage Search Engines panel.

This displays a page with additional search engines you can choose. So, I click on the icon for the engine I want (eg: IMDB or Ask)

At this point I get a screen with the message "In the top right corner of Firefox, click on the drop down list of search engines and select "Add IMDB".

However, the drop-down list box is unaltered... there is no entry saying "Add IMDB"

What am I missing ? Thank you.

(Mint 13 Mate newly installed, Firefox 12.0, presently updating system via Update Manager w/ slow internet connection).
Last edited by benali72 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benali72
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to Add Search Engines to Firefox?

Postby xenopeek on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Perhaps let the upgrade finish, as you should be nearer to Firefox 19 than to 12 on Linux Mint 13. If I follow the steps you describe, at the end if I click on the down arrow icon in the search box it shows "Add IMDB" as the second to last entry in the list.

You can also use Mozilla's MyCroft project page to add from a selection of thousands of search engines: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby benali72 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Thank you, xenopeek. Yeah, I'm definitely not getting "Add IMDB" in the drop down list.

I'll be patient and let the upgrade finish... if that doesn't do the trick, I'll use your link to Mycroft. Thanks.
benali72
Level 2
Level 2

Postby benali72 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Well, I'm impatient about that upgrade, so I went to MyCroft, and it worked fine. Thanks again.
benali72
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions