Greetings from a Linux neophyte in NC

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TangleWeb

Greetings from a Linux neophyte in NC

Post by TangleWeb »

Greetings all!

Just a quick hello before I post for help installing Mint on an older Dell Optiplex 740, with an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual-core processor and 4 GB of RAM. Like the even older Compaq I tried it on yesterday, Mint doesn't seem to like the integrated Graphics, in this case, the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics chipset.

~Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Greetings from a Linux neophyte in NC

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard

whilst running mint from live dvd try going Menu...all applications... and select additional drivers, provided you are internet connected it will search the mint data base for the best drivers and give you the option to install if it finds them
TangleWeb

Post by TangleWeb »

The-Wizard wrote:welcome to the mint family forums

wizard

whilst running mint from live dvd try going Menu...all applications... and select additional drivers, provided you are internet connected it will search the mint data base for the best drivers and give you the option to install if it finds them
That's good to know.

My problem is that the I never see the Linux Live desktop. It displays as a broken up color background. Oddly enough, the 32-bit install DVD boots to the live desktop, but the 64-bit does not. Both downloaded in the past couple of days (14.1)
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

may be that although you have a 64 capable processor the motherboard may only be 32 bit sorry never had a del so im not sure what they use
TangleWeb

Post by TangleWeb »

The-Wizard wrote:may be that although you have a 64 capable processor the motherboard may only be 32 bit sorry never had a del so im not sure what they use
Probably not that, because I have Windows 8 64-bit on the same PC, but a different hard drive.

I did install the 32-bit version of Mint on it & it's running nicely. Now to figure out how to share out the printer, so others in the house can print :)
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day.
Welcome to the forum.
:mrgreen:
TangleWeb

Post by TangleWeb »

jesica wrote:Good day.
Welcome to the forum.
:mrgreen:
Thank you! :)

An update; I installed a PCIe card I had available (ATI Radeon X1300 256mb) & once I did, I was able to boot to the 64-bit version of Mint 14.1. I installed it alongside the 32-bit version, so I can boot into either.

I also have two 1 GB sticks of RAM coming for the older Compaq desktop (AMD 3000+ CPU) that I had originally intended to be my "Mint Box", so I can have Windows 8 AND Mint up at the same time.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”