new ubuntu release schedulle

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
werkman2
Level 1
Level 1

new ubuntu release schedulle

Post by werkman2 »

ubuntu from 13.04 onward will reduce support time for non lts release from 18 to 9 months, and if you want you can always track the devellopment releases, link is webupd8.org/2013/03/ubuntu-technical-board-meeting.html?m=1.

What does it mean for linux mint?

Thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: new ubuntu release schedulle

Post by xenopeek »

Moved it here as this is not a problem with Linux Mint that others can help you solve. You shared a broken link, here is the link to the article: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/ubuntu-t ... g.html?m=1

This news has just been shared today so what it will mean for Linux Mint might take the developers a little more time to consider. Keep an eye on the blog, as surely the Linux Mint developers will comment on this. If not before, then with the release of Linux Mint 15.

For anybody that missed it; this change affects Ubuntu 13.04 and other future releases. Past releases, such as currently still supported Ubuntu package bases used in Linux Mint 12, 13 and 14, are not affected by this change and remain supported as per their original schedules. You can see the dates these Linux Mint releases reach end of support and become obsolete here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php. Heads up for Linux Mint 12 users, just one more month to go.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Hmm...Ubuntu upgrades are already a massive fail, don't see how interm releases are worth messing with at this point with 9 mos support. IMO Mint has been wise to forego the whole upgrade from one release to the next failure. Honestly, Mint might be better off just running the LTS version and skipping interm releases for Main Mint and focus more on Debian. To me Debian has it figured out and working:
Debian Stable for those wanting rock solid, 3 year support releases.
Debian Sid for those wanting/needing cutting edge apps and OS.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Also, the development branch (as of 13.04) will become a rolling distro (though they aren't going to actually call it that)....
On development, you will now be able to roll right into the next ubuntu development version (ex: 13.04 to 13.10) and so forth, and no longer need to
upgrade....

So, ubuntu will be:

6 month release with 9 month support
LTS with long term support (2 year release as always)
"Rolling" (but not called that...lol) Development Branch....

I would imagine mint will either stay on 6 months or go to LTS....
If you want rolling development, you will need to use ubuntu directly (as i do)...i highly doubt Clem will be able to offer that one as an option over here...

My experience with Ubuntu 13.04 development has been that their updates on it have become EXTREMELY RELIABLE (i was rather surprised) and it's been very stable for me (except for one brief sound breakage in vlc media player which they got fixed in like two days)...I think at this point, ubuntu development is far more reliable then debian testing, and this is the option i am going with personally...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I expect to see more users migrate to the LTS releases as a result of these changes, since the support time for the interim releases will be so short.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:I expect to see more users migrate to the LTS releases as a result of these changes, since the support time for the interim releases will be so short.
I can't imagine installing anything but LTS and especially not recommend anything but LTS releases to others at this point.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/24 ... ort_times/
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Looking at the chart at the link there, it looks like thy have plenty of elbow room to spread out the distance between LTS releases as well. I wouldn't be surprised if that's on the cards not too far down the track.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think Shuttleworth makes it clear now LTS is aimed at users, interim releases are aimed at testers:

“Our working assumption is that the latest interim release is used by folks who will be involved, even if tangentially, in the making of Ubuntu, and LTS releases will be used by those who purely consume it,” Shuttleworth explained.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2031955/ ... -near.html
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

"Really the last idea that had Ubuntu people that, from the all next's releases Non-LTS versions will have only nine months of support, rather than the eighteen months of support they have today, really I think a bad enough idea.- Very bad Idea.-

I think that the Linux Mint than Non-LTS should maintain the support, by at Least One Full Year. I think this would be fine, I think that nine months support for a version, is too short a time.-" I proposed this idea to the Community of Linux Mint, 9 months since I find very little time for non-LTS versions. If confirmed, I think there will be many more users to pass to the LTS versions.- Bad Idea for Canonical.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

For Ubuntu, I only think it means they are trying to be relevant (call that later/newer) as possible
--whether that is to compete with windows (features) or simply to say they are pushing Linux development as fast as it can be done, and then let some other Linux distributor/developer group try to compete with us..

If they are successful in that and don't have the usual first edition bugs or problems with their versions then AOK!
--otherwise watch for the usual problems, especially if they change package managers or other system functions..

Return to “Chat about Linux”