error using fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Riko

error using fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Post by Riko »

Hi all,

I recentely switch to LMDE (from Nadia from Maya from Ubuntu). I use fetchmail in a cronjob to extract certain emails automatically from our corporate mail server using imap with ssl on a regular basis. This setup is working flawlessly since years, however not anymore since I installed LMDE. This is the essential output of fetchmail:

Code: Select all

fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: Unknown login or authentication error on user@imap-server
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from user@imap-server
fetchmail: 6.3.21 querying imap-server (protocol IMAP) at Mon 25 Mar 2013 08:47:38 PM CET: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2
As I said, this was working fine before, is still working fine on a parallel install of Bodhi Linux but not on LMDE. I assume, it has something to do with the system wide ssl or fetchmal config, but so far haven't found any hint yet what it might be.

Thanks and cheers,
Riko
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Riko

Re: error using fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Post by Riko »

Hi again,

just my own follow-up in case someone else encounters this problem. After installing different versions of fetchmail and/or openssl I still couldn't get it to work. I don't have time (probably nor the expertise) to solve it myself. But, a work around that did it for me is

1) do a local port forwarding via ssh using stunnel to the imap server
2) connect fetchmail to the local host without ssl

That works for me. Since thjis works while fetchmail/ssl doesn't, I conclude that somehow the interplay of fetchmail and openssl under LMDE screws up the direct connection.

Anyway, just thought I drop this here.

Cheers, Riko

Return to “LMDE Archive”